lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Reeds - should they look like this????

Do the reeds completely close when the engine is not running?

These are the reeds on my G1 and appear to be free of any obvious damage. It seems they are slightly open. When I push on them, they freely move and then spring back into place. Seems normal, am I correct?

This was the final stage of troubleshooting a cart that had been running; placed in storage, and then started with old fuel and stopped running after 10 minutes. Now the unit won't run. At this point, we've...
  • verified compression is 116 psi
  • ensured there are no oil leaks,
  • replaced all the fuel & vacuum lines
  • installed screw-type fasteners at the end of each line
  • Bought a rebuild carb kit for the original carb
  • Bought a new eBay carb
  • Verified the fuel pump is pumping
  • Verified the spark and used two different brands of plugs
  • Installed a new battery
  • Primed the fuel lines
  • Attempted to start with and without a muffler.
  • Attempted to start with starting fluid
If I remove the air box and attempt to start the cart, I can watch small drops of fuel spit out the intake side of the carb. So it was suggested I inspect the reeds. Any other thoughts?

-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reed.JPG (54.8 KB, 0 views)
DavidinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Reeds - should they look like this????

Do you have a picture of the front there is normally a slight gap in-between Reed and Reed cage
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They are supposed to be shut but I have seen them like that, they do close very easily right? They are very old is the problem, but not sure that is why it dont run. Normally if you choke it you can get them going and they run ok that way, all else being ok.

I would check the crank seals, that is common poor starting issue and it will still show compression on the top side. Look for oil or gas leaking out. Try to start it with lots of choke. They will run at higher rpm but idle suffers first with leaking seals. You can try to oil them might seal a little and get it running, but then you can't see leaks. And that might not be your issue just something to look at as they can dry out in storage and get worse than they were. If you have spark and fuel you need compression, and leaking seals make the engine not push the charge up into the cylinder at low rpm.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Reeds should be fully closed. Take the screws out and slightly "bend them" to the closed position.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha