lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Rich@eRaine.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charger clicks but Ammeter never shows flow

I have a 2003 Clubcar DS IQ. I can't get the cart to charge. When I plug in the charger cable the the relay clicks on after a short pause as is normal, but ammeter never shows a charge. This is a recent problem as the cart was operating normally. Battery levels are 7.7 and specific gravity is low 1.1, total Voltage is 47volts as a result of my inability to charge. I have bypassed the OBC using the joining of the wires in the charger method as is described here in the forum but still can't get the ammeter to show flow to the battery, the pause before the relay clicks in as expected when the charger is connected.
If anyone can share and idea as to how I may get this charging again I would be great full.. Thanks
Rich@eRaine.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charger clicks but Ammeter never shows flow

Jumping the relay inside the charger only by-passes the relay activation of the OBC, it is only useful to charge a cart that is below the OBC activation voltage level.

Your fuse on the negative side of the charger receptacle is bad, part #6 on the diagram below.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...receptacle.jpg
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Rich@eRaine.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for this idea Sergio, and even the diagram to help point e the way, but I checked the continuity with my multitester and found the fuse is good.
I also borrowed a known charger and attempted to charge but found the same problem.
I sure would appreciate any other you migh have.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The symptoms You have are related to the negative side of the charger not reaching the battery pack.

The fuse is the most common (and cheaper) failure.

Set your meter to 200vDC and measure the voltage at the cart charger receptacle, you should have about pack voltage minus 5v.

If You have 0v and You are sure the fuse and the negative wire from the receptacle to OBC and from OBC to pack negative are good, the OBC has failed.

You can force a charge by running the negative wire directly from the back of the charger receptacle to the pack negative battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sergio is correct. If the fuse is good, the OBC has failed. The replacement OBC for your cart is part number 103359401
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #6
Rich@eRaine.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio and TahoeDawg - I have to tell you this. I followed Sergio's directions. I checked all the fuses they where ok. Then I traced the negative side back. All was ok. I measured the battery packs total voltage 47 volts. Then went to the charger port and measured the voltage to be 33 v at the charger port. At least it gave me hope the obc might. It be bad. I took the charger apart and measured the voltage at the other end of the charger cable to be 33v. Hmmm. Then went to check in input cable pins to measure the line input voltage. I couldn't get a reading. I put the multi-tester in the wall plug only to find it was dead. I went to a plug on the other side of the garage put in an extension cord and plugged the charger to find it lit up and started charging that poor old cart unmercifully. The cart was gulping the charge. And it should have, I had been using it for the past two weeks each time dutifully plugging it into the wall, listening for the click to know it's charging (but never looking at the ammeter to be sure).
Sometimes we look to hard for the complex solution when the obvious is right in you face. Apparently the click is triggered by the obc doing what it's supposed to do, open the pathway for the charge. (But in my case there was no power)
I want to thank you so much for your sharing the wonderful Knowledge you have acquired with all of us. If you ever get to Las Vegas the golf is on me. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Great, glad you figured it out.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@eRaine.com View Post
... Sometimes we look to hard for the complex solution when the obvious is right in you face. Apparently the click is triggered by the obc doing what it's supposed to do, open the pathway for the charge. (But in my case there was no power)
You will not be the first person to be fooled by this.... I've seen folks insulted when suggestions ask them to check the wall outlet.... Here on board ship I constantly preach when you have a problem with a piece of equipment you tackle it just like reading a book from the front cover and work your way to the back....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm having same issue. I have a 03 club car ds. When I first noticed my cart wasn't charged all the way up after letting it charge all night I noticed that the chager cord itself wasnt plugged all the way into the wall outlet (one of the kids probably tripped over it and pulled it half way out). After I plugged it all the way in my charger only makes a click sound and does nothing else. I've checked all the fuses I'm cart and in charger and they all look good. Wall outlet is also good. Its a power drive2 charger if that helps. 48v cart
Whitb1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitb1187 View Post
I'm having same issue. I have a 03 club car ds. When I first noticed my cart wasn't charged all the way up after letting it charge all night I noticed that the chager cord itself wasnt plugged all the way into the wall outlet (one of the kids probably tripped over it and pulled it half way out). After I plugged it all the way in my charger only makes a click sound and does nothing else. I've checked all the fuses I'm cart and in charger and they all look good. Wall outlet is also good. Its a power drive2 charger if that helps. 48v cart
Follow this guide step by step....

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/t...roubleshooting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car