lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Default Re: PVC pipe roll cage / roof enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
PVC has it's uses but can be limited. I have a short roof and flip seat. Only one vendor at the time had a driving enclosure for 4 seater with short roof. So I made a pvc frame that supported the longer 4 seater enclosure. All of my joints are covered by the enclosure. Something I noticed was even after being properly prepped and glued I had joints coming loose do to wind and flex. I ended up putting a pop rivet in each joint. Note the the bends in the upright. I used thinwall 3/4" PVC and "washed" the area with a heat gun. A bud could tell when it was soft enough to bend. You have to work quickly. I later painted the frame black.
That looks like it works perfect for your need. I figure the PVC is cheap enough that we might as well give it a try. Worst case it will make for a good template for a metal one.
Lazy cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy cruiser View Post
Yes I agree the only way to keep it sleek would be to avoid using couplers. My brother and I just talked about how to build it without them.
Maybe you could use some inside PVC pipe connectors.

http://www.getpoolparts.com/product/...hopping%20%231
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
Maybe you could use some inside PVC pipe connectors.

http://www.getpoolparts.com/product/...hopping%20%231
Nice I didn't even know they made these.

I bought a couple of pieces of 1" to start playing around and seeing what we can come up with. I will keep everyone posted. So far we are only $30 invested.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Nice I didn't even know they made these.
I didn't either until I did a web search for them. My original thought was to turn down some PVC pipe on a lathe to use as a connector. Perhaps some hardwood dowels sections sanded down to fit and glued in might do for connectors also.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #15
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
I didn't either until I did a web search for them. My original thought was to turn down some PVC pipe on a lathe to use as a connector. Perhaps some hardwood dowels sections sanded down to fit and glued in might do for connectors also.
Exactly. Good idea also. Then I will find a way to smooth out the seams before paint. By the time we are done it can look like a metal roll cage without the expense and weight. I also want to figure out an easy way to remove it for hauling in our enclosed trailer.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

April Fools!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
April Fools!
What's wrong Cgtech? Don't think it will work? Lol
Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #18
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Exactly. Good idea also. Then I will find a way to smooth out the seams before paint. By the time we are done it can look like a metal roll cage without the expense and weight. I also want to figure out an easy way to remove it for hauling in our enclosed trailer.
https://formufit.com/collections/formufit-pipesleeve

Keep in mind that PVC does NOT hold up in UV well at all. It also doesn't accept paint very well. PVC is a great way to prototype stuff, but my gut tells me that you will not be pleased with the end product if you make it out of PVC.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #19
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoddjohnson View Post
https://formufit.com/collections/formufit-pipesleeve

Keep in mind that PVC does NOT hold up in UV well at all. It also doesn't accept paint very well. PVC is a great way to prototype stuff, but my gut tells me that you will not be pleased with the end product if you make it out of PVC.

TJ
By "does not hold up well in UV" you mean bows in the sun? In the end I hope it will at least be a good prototype for a metal one. I was just trying to avoid the weight and cost. My cart will never see any conditions that require a real roll cage. I really can't stand the factory roof and supports so I thought this would be a good option. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #20
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can also use the grey electric conduit stuff the connectors are interchangeable with the white stuff to.
I may be wrong but is the grey pipe thicker?
I think the grey is uv resistant , the electric co. runs it up to the meter in full sunlight.

I can't wait to see what you come up with
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha