lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 AM   #1
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Motor temp

Snagged a cheap digital temp gauge off amazon and did the scottyb special, bolting the probe to the motor. This is a 2011 ydre with 4 gauge cables, xct48400, and a high speed double banded motor from EMP. My problem is, after my first night of neighborhood cruising my motor case temp was 180 f. This is all on flat asphalt w one passenger. Most speeds were only 10-20 mph. Is this motor doomed if i actually push it hard? Help!
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Motor temp

Update, after 45 mins of sitting case temp is 147 f. Not good!!
Old 07-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I don't see the problem here. How cold do you think it's supposed to run, Ambient? The hard limit is 140° C , Not 140° F. Also, go touch the engine in your car 45 minutes after a good drive, your finger might hurt. The motor is mostly solid metal, which takes a while to cool down, because of its high thermal mass.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Agree. One other thought though, you said cheap temp gauge, I got a pretty good idea where it is made. Are you sure of it's accuracy? Can you check the temp with something else to confirm it?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I don't see the problem either. I was told by Vic at D&D to keep my motor under 110 Celsius = 230 Fahrenheit
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys. Must have got confused with the c to f. Your first guess as to where the gauge was made is correct. I'll verify it with another source asap. Until then I guess I'm good to go. Thanks all!!
Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
I don't see the problem either. I was told by Vic at D&D to keep my motor under 110 Celsius = 230 Fahrenheit
On this topic, NCPW, I have been checking my custom D&D just by placing my hand on it and so far even after working it hard, either wide open, heavy towing or mud at low speeds, I have yet to find it more than warm to the touch, certainly not uncomfortable to leave your hand on it. How about you?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I would say I got it hot once. Running WOT on a paved road for 2 miles straight. And I say hot, but I was still able to hold my hand on it for 3 seconds or so before I needed to remove it.

Creeping through mud, pulling down brush and pulling a trailer loaded down with close to 1000 lbs the motor never got above ambient temperature.

I love my motor.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha