lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Admiral B2 "high speed" motor installed- no faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Turn the speed limit off. If your speed increases it was the controller settings holding you back. Also turn turbo on, do you have the correct field map?
You should leave the speed limit ON but also turn the Turbo ON which will allow for a lower field current at high rpm and potentially a higher speed.

It is the first time I see a log/monitor showing a higher current on the battery loop than on the motor loop.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess I should have said to temporarily turn speed limit off.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Turn the speed limit off. If your speed increases it was the controller settings holding you back. Also turn turbo on, do you have the correct field map?
I'm curious. How does a rpm limit of 6000 hold you back?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #14
mlifly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will try with Turbo On. As far as turning the limit off- I can’t even reach the limit set, so I’m not sure that will matter.
mlifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifly View Post
I will try with Turbo On. As far as turning the limit off- I can’t even reach the limit set, so I’m not sure that will matter.
It will tell if the Speed sensor or speed sensor wiring is the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
--------------------
It is the first time I see a log/monitor showing a higher current on the battery loop than on the motor loop.
I took a quick look at a couple of my data logs and while the cart is moving forward and not in regen, they show the battery amps higher than the armature amps about 15% of the time.

I haven't found any reason for it, but it could be a matter of timing.
The various amp and voltage readings are taken at close to, but not at exactly the same time and if the values were rapidly increasing, whichever was taken first would be lower than the one taken second. I don't know if that would be a significant difference, but I suspect the reason is something like that.

Technically, as long as the motor is spinning and the output is less than 100% duty cycle, the motor amps will be higher than battery amps. (At 100% duty cycle, they will be equal.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifly View Post
I just finished installing a new motor, lift kit, and 23" tires, and my cart is no faster than before.
Last year, I installed a 400 amp alltrax XCT, 2 ga. wires, and 7 new batteries (I upgraded to 42v). At that time, for the money I spent, I was disappointed to have only increased from 18mph to 20mph.
Now, with the motor and tires I only got about another 3mph. Anybody have any ideas? I have screenshots of controller settings and monitor page while out driving. The motor is only reaching about 4400rpm. (Limit set at 6K).

I read some old threads from JohnnieB saying that going from 36v to 42v and adding the 400 amp alltrax should have yielded around 29mph last year... I never got even close.

If I don't start seeing results, my wife is going to stop letting me spend the money!
The red highlighted statement is a problem that, apparently, was never corrected.

With stock height tires, stock PDS motor and a 36V battery pack, just upgrading to an XCT controller should have upped the top speed from 18MPH to 24MPH. Going to 42V should have upped it to 28MPH, if the RPM limit in the XCT was set high enough. (28MPH on 18" tires is 6505RPM -- FWIW: 6000RPM is 25.8MPH on 18" tires)

Of course, those speeds are with Turbo turned on. With it turned off, the speeds would be slower, but I'm not sure if it would have been that much slower.

As I understand it, the Admiral B2 is a High Torque motor and it turns slower than a stock motor with the same voltage applied. I cannot find and detailed specs for it, but Scotty says a cart with stock height tires does about 24MPH at 48V, so that is about 25% slower than stock. That works out to about 21MPH @42V with stock height tires.

Unless they are the low pressure type, a 23" tall tire increases speed by 22% and reduces torque by 18%. The B2 is a high torque motor, so the 18% torque loss is probably negligible and the top speed ought to be about 25.6MPH.

As I mentioned, I don't have any good specs on the B2 motor, so my calculations may be considerably off relative to motor RPM vs Voltage.

If possible, record a data log, zip it and post it here as an attachment. It will provide more comprehensive information than screenshot of the monitor screen.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is another thing I noticed. You need to keep up with the Alltrax software upgrades. This may or may not solve your speed problems. I believe some upgrades were to solve throttle/auto cal problems.
You're about 3 upgrades behind.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
Hossstyl3
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm running a similar setup on 48v with the Admiral b2 (8.4 hp high torque motor. ) with the and it runs a solid 25 mph, With one person!! With my buddy and I it runs 23-24 mph. The way it was explained to me was, that it's a trade off speed or torque. !! U can't have both. So u have to find a happy medium between the two. I'm super happy with mine. It's got monster torque for hills and off-road and enough speed to get into trouble ��
Hossstyl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #20
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Will yours do a solid 20+ up a hill? Mine “bogs” to about 15 up hill. I dont want to drop $500 on a motor to gain 2 mph up hill.
Stock motor is 2.5HP and Admiral B2 is over 8HP. Im more experienced with gas engines I guess. I would expect more when you raise HP 3X?
Im prob wrong though😛
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO