lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 ezgo mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambeklr View Post
can I run my same motor if I upgrade to 48 volt? I will need to buy upgrades that are specifically for a 48 volt cart right? such as the speed controller...

Basically, if I get 6 8 volt batteries what do I need to change to run around 20 mph and have the torque I need to pull and go up hills while hunting.
The Alltrax controllers and upgrade kits on cartsunlimited.net work with either voltage.

typically, stock 36v motors won't last very long on 48v.

for you to be able to have the torque and speed you need/need, you will need to get a new motor. the MOT-B1 would be a good choice for your needs. it will run on either 36 or 48.....so you could start with your current pack and if you want more, you could upgrade to 48v with a 6-8v pack.....but I would highly recommend a 48v pack too begin with.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
The Alltrax controllers and upgrade kits on cartsunlimited.net work with either voltage.

typically, stock 36v motors won't last very long on 48v.

for you to be able to have the torque and speed you need/need, you will need to get a new motor. the MOT-B1 would be a good choice for your needs. it will run on either 36 or 48.....so you could start with your current pack and if you want more, you could upgrade to 48v with a 6-8v pack.....but I would highly recommend a 48v pack too begin with.
Nuke, I thought the series motors do well on 48v?

In my 36v series cart I did the cables, 48500 with fn switch (highly recommend) and contactor first. I gained some pep and a few mph from it. Guys in the know said it was mechanically/electrically not realistic, but I did. It was noted with the same gps app and I could feel it. My cart had a factory upgraded motor and controller, but it definitely improved with the new stuff. However, the biggest jump has come from going to the 48 volts of lithium.

I don’t have a lot of experience with this, but unless money is no object, I’d do everything but the motor, including going to 48v, first. Since your motor is stock, you won’t see the results I did, but you’re definitely going to see an improvement in the range of 33%. Then, if it’s still not enough, you can pick a motor that gets you what you need.

If money is not a concern, get it all at once, and make it lithium. 😀
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Bambeklr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you... I heard back from scotty and he recommended Ezgo Series TXT high amperage Torque System 2. I am probably going to just go with that as soon as I change over to 48 volts. You did say that I can run my current system on 48 volts as it is temporarily? And is there a big difference between the lithium and regular cart batteries? If so what are they?
Bambeklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you... I heard back from scotty and he recommended Ezgo Series TXT high amperage Torque System 2. I am probably going to just go with that as soon as I change over to 48 volts. You did say that I can run my current system on 48 volts as it is temporarily? And is there a big difference between the lithium and regular cart batteries? If so what are they?
You’re going to be dialed with that package. If it were me, I’d throw in the contactor. Nobody likes the rotary fr compared to just clicking a button.

I don’t think your stock solenoid will survive on 48v. You’ll have to get some feedback from the experts, which I’m not.

As far as the lithium goes, the cart doesn’t care where the energy comes from. The lithium is a lot lighter, doesn’t require water, no charging stink, and hopefully lasts the life of a couple of lead acid packs.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Bambeklr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

did a little reading and I think you are correct. I think my stock solenoid would blow with the 48 volts. I will most likely get the batteries and keep them in the garage until I have my complete system. Then jump into her all at once. I dont think it would take to long to upgrade everything. But I am sure I will find plentyof things to clean up and work on when I get the body off *lol*
Bambeklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
did a little reading and I think you are correct. I think my stock solenoid would blow with the 48 volts. I will most likely get the batteries and keep them in the garage until I have my complete system. Then jump into her all at once. I dont think it would take to long to upgrade everything. But I am sure I will find plentyof things to clean up and work on when I get the body off *lol*
I’m pretty sure the only thing in your stock system that will survive on 48v is the motor. I don’t think your solenoid or your controller will make it, but I’d like confirmation from the experts.

I wouldn’t buy batteries, then have them sitting around in your garage. I’m not sure how long you’re talking about, but you’d have to keep them charged somehow. Also, I know I’ve read that guys search out the newest dates they can get. They look for batteries with matching date codes that are as fresh as possible.

Again, just a repeater of what I’ve read here. My only real experience is rebuilding my own cart, but I’d do the following:
Controller
Solenoid
2g cables (get them in 8v length)

Reversing contactor
48v battery pack

New motor or possibly check with plum quick about if they can make yours do what you need.

I’d do it grouped as above, unless it’s a significant savings getting the package. You might consider the contactor at the same time as the controller, as it all installs together.

Just my .01 I don’t know enough yet to give you.02 😊
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just noticed you mentioned taking the body off. Keep in mind that the controller, solenoid and contactor are all easier to install with the body off. Totally doable with it on, but much easier with it off. Take a look at the pic to see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7D7C2CE-E60A-4849-A950-1395CDD70DE2.jpg (146.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
RaptorJP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a Clay's cart that I was looking for more up hill torque out of and installed this setup.

E-Z-Go PDS High Torque Kit - Advanced EY7-4001 Motor, Alltrax XCT48500 Controller & Accessories [Voltage:36 Volt][Cable Kits:2 AWG Complete Cable Kit (WK2G-DCS-PDS) Use with 500 amp controllers.][PDS Cable:Yes - (KIT-SENSOR-CBL-PDS)]

Got it from EV Drives: http://www.evdrives.com/default.asp
Worked great on my 2002 TXT PDS w/ 22" tires and 6" lift.
RaptorJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
RaptorJP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also added disc brakes from Carts Unlimited. Cart.jpg

Brakes1.jpg

Brakes2.jpg
RaptorJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO