lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 conversion from vacuum to electric fuel pump

I have a Yamaha G2 that does not run. I have replaced the starter/generator, the carburetor, the solenoid, the fuel pump(twice). It has a new plug, and fuel filter also. At this point I am not getting any fuel to the carburetor. I believe the check valve is ok. I am wondering if I should just switch out the vacuum pump for an electric pump? I thought I seen some old threads about doing this but I can't find them at the moment.

I found the old thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-yamaha/87662-g2-fuel-pump-went-electric.html?highlight=G2+fuel+pump...went+electr ic

Has anyone done this since this thread?

Last edited by Poppa Hunter; 09-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Found thread previuosly mentioned
Poppa Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
neednomotoyz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G2 conversion from vacuum to electric fuel pump

Jeezzzz
Just an amature but i would think that the vacuum pulse pump could supply all the fuel that engine could use under any load... we arnt doing a 10 second quarter mile. I would keep looking elswhere.
Do you actually have unrestricted vacuum from engine???
Cracks in fuel line or or vacume line... they wont pump if lines leak......
no need to convert in my opinion .....thousands / hundreds of thousands/Millions???of carts are running with out electric pump conversion.

Being a smart *** but I have been there before
DO YOU HAVE GAS IN TANK???/

Sorry just trying to help.....

under non use and bad gas .......valves in pump do stick to seats........
takes dissasmebly and cleaning or blowing with air through ports

If you have no fuel at carb start at carb and work to tank.
neednomotoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
neednomotoyz
Not Yet Wild

Just a thought
I bought a G22 that didn't run well. Took off carb and cleaned and ran tag wire through jets ect and put back on.
Would only run a few seconds and die...so I suspected fuel pump. It was getting very little fuel. Tore pump apart and lost the guts in the sand so I bought a new pump and put on..
same deal no fuel very little.

When I put air box back on after I cleaned carb i pinched the vacuum line between air box and engine...
drove me crazy till i found pinch....
ran great after I rerouted the line from under airbox......
neednomotoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Some old engines with worn bearings and shaft seals don't develop enough vacuum to operate their vacuum operated fuel pumps well. Then again, some of the older mechanically operated fuel pumps are no longer available.

I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my OMC powered Cushman Truckster with an electric fuel pump that I bought at ORiley Auto Parts when the cost of OEM NOS fuel pumps became 2X the cost of the electric fuel pumps. My OMC motor never ran this good before installing the electric fuel pump. It's pressure is self regulating, so there is no need for the bypass filter and return line back to the gas tank. If my Truckster has been sitting for a few days/months, all that is necessary is to turn the ignition on and then wait a few seconds for the pump to build fuel pressure, then pull the choke on and start it. It has always started in the first 2 revolutions of the motor. I then slowly reduce the manual choke as it warms up. The rest of the day I can start it without the choke in 2 revolutions or (frequently) less.

Only two wires need to be connected, one to the key switch or any point that has power with the ignition on. The other wire connects to frame ground. I have a fuel filter between the pump and the fuel tank. The output of the pump connects direct to the carburetor. Simple, easy, and very reliable.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Re:neednomotoyz-LOL yes there is fresh gas in the tank. Did that enough times with the motorcycles. I drained the tank and replaced the fuel filter and checked the lines(which are clear and no pinch points). I think they have a tight fit but that does not mean there is not a leak somewhere.

CharleyL- So I have a line from tank to pump, one from pump to carb, and one that comes from the motor which splits. Would I cap the one going to the motor?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I am interested to find out how it would work....I too toyed with idea of electric pump and actually got a 12v low pressure one from ebay to try,But It never was put on, as I got the vacuum one working. The one I got was listed for small rec vehicles .
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa Hunter View Post
Re:neednomotoyz-LOL yes there is fresh gas in the tank. Did that enough times with the motorcycles. I drained the tank and replaced the fuel filter and checked the lines(which are clear and no pinch points). I think they have a tight fit but that does not mean there is not a leak somewhere.

CharleyL- So I have a line from tank to pump, one from pump to carb, and one that comes from the motor which splits. Would I cap the one going to the motor?
Yes, cap the one going to the motor. That is a vacuum line which we not be needed if you convert.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well finally got time to install the electrical pump. No hesitation. Runs great. I’ll post an update as I get some use out of it and let you know if there are any problems. So far so good. Kids are going to be excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well cart runs great. Mostly. Kids and I had a blast. My 8 year old daughter crashed us into the shed, kids and cart are ok, shed has a hole in the wall. Wife, not impressed. Lol. Either I need to replace the ignition module(if I’m using the right term there) or put a line back to the tank from the carb. I’m either flooding it out or something cause after awhile if we stop it won’t start again until it sits for awhile. Going to attach a T up by the carb and run a line back to the tank. May also try a Chrysler ignition module I read in another post. If I do I’ll start a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would suggest checking the oil in the engine. It seems these carts are known for gas getting into the engine oil in these situations.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha