lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Piston on g1

I’m really tired of messing with this cart. Got the rings in and the piston wil not go into the cylinder. So it’s making life miserable. I guess I’ll just beg a shop to please help other than that I’m done.
franchise78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #22
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

before you go to the shop...Does the piston go into the cylinder without the ring on it?...the reason I ask is one of the pots I got would not...I threw me a curved ball mucking around for ages...It was marked wrong or what ever....Any way just try that first...It can be a hard getting the piston with ring on into the cylinder...I use the hose clamp and plastic trick.Cut a piece if smooth plastic from a bottle or similar wrap it around the piston then hose clap it firm...just enough to compress the ring but still slide...oil is up so it slippery...line up*the piston and push into the cylinder...Dont rush it...take your time it will work...Best of luck..
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #23
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lube the cylinder with 2 cycle oil. Make sure the rings stay against the pins in the piston grooves when you squeeze them. Don't rotate the piston in the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yeah the piston will go without rings on, and it has very little wiggle room. Just to see I put a .25mm in it with rings and it went in kinda easy but it didn’t move when it was in there hardly at all. I think I’ll try the clamp trick and see what happens. Plus I forgot to clean the carbon around the piston grooves. Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #25
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Its a fiddly job and can test your patience....Bending over trying to see,you need four sets of hands, trying to line up, push,hold,guide,swear,kick curse all at the same time ...lol.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #26
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Get a small ring compressor from Amazon or a parts store. They are like $10 and do wonders.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I always have to have the wife put the jug on while I'm compressing the rings seems to require more than 2 hands
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I got the ring compressor so I’m going to try that tonight.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #29
JerEazy
Getting Wild

having just done this last night, and the night before, and the night before that (bought the wrong piston - long story) rotate the engine so the piston is at it's highest point.

Start the jug down the studs and it get it lined up with the piston and get the piston started. The jug should stop on the first ring. Roll your fingernail around that ring from the bottom of the Jug to compress the ring and guide the jug.

It should slide past the first and set on the second ring. Do the same thing again and it should work itself down.

It is definitely a PITA with one set of hands. First night i had the wife come out and hold the jug while i worked the rings.
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #30
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I don't know if you've done it or not yet, but if replacing the rings, definitely run a hone through the cylinder first or it will likely be a wasted effort.

The original rings will wear themselves in (seat). They leave their mark in the cylinder and if you replace the rings, the new ones will not seat correctly because of the tiny (invisible to the naked eye usually) scratching/seating from the old rings where they seated/mated to the cylinder wall. Running a hone through the cylinder will cut out the vertical "scratches" from the old rings, and replace with new horizontal "scratches" and give the new rings a fresh surface in which to seat. Hones are cheap and it only takes about 30 seconds to do it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha