lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
charles63
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default no low speed

Newbie.I hope this is the proper area for this post. I have a 1978 36 Volt Cushman Titan solenoid clicks on and off through low acceleration and does not engage until full throttle. Changed the solenoid but no changes except it now has a fainter clicking sound. Any thoughts or suggestions? By the way the batteries have also been changed.
charles63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: no low speed

Yeah, the mods will probably move this to the non-specific electric golf cart section.

I don't know your cart specifically but I know resistor carts pretty well.

Your solenoid seems like it's doing it's thing. With your voltmeter, put the black probe on a battery negative or any ground for that matter. Have someone hit that low gear with the accelerator. You should see 36v on your meter. If not, you have a wiring problem before that solenoid. If you have 36v there then you have an issue after that solenoid which has to be either the cable or the motor. My guess is that the motor needs servicing (brushes or bearings) and the lower voltage needed by the low speed circuit isn't enough to spin the motor while the higher voltage can.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
charles63
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

thank you will give that a try this w/e
Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can see how the motor needing servicing could cause the no-slow-go symptom, but I don't see how it would cause the solenoid to drop out. Do the test Lochlin recommended while the solenoid is clicking on/off through the low speed acceleration. It'll be interesting to see if the solenoid drops out because it's being told there's no throttle on the control circuit.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure, but wasn't 1978 in the pre-controller era?

Some picture of the drive system would help.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
binder49
Gone Wild

I believe that cart has the sweep controller for speed. I would check the contacts on the sweep. I had one of those doing the same thing. the contacts on the board were bad as was the sweep contactor
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

With the age I assumed it was a resistor cart.. If so, bottom line is that if that solenoid is sending current then there is nothing else there but wiring and motor. Obviously, this woundn't apply if it is not a resistor cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
charles63
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Did the test suggested will pull motor out this w/e and see what comes of it when rebuild.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO