lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Z lift bushings?

I've got a 99 DS with a Z lift. Runs great but handles like a ski boat. Front isn't a big deal but the rear I'm not exactly sure where to find rear bushings... it's got some shackles that are about 14 feet long in the back of the leaf springs but the whole body sways like a palm tree in a hurricane because theres a shackle extension on the front of the leaf springs and the bushings are GONE. Not worn but completely gone. Does anyone know where to get these?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Z lift bushings?

Factory Z or home made,
I would imagine that they would have used/reused stock leaf spring/shackle bushings... Yes/No?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The two Z-lifted carts I had used standard rear spring bushings.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Correct, the leaf spring bushings are the same. I'll get a picture shortly of what I'm referring to, kinda hard to describe.

Doesnt look like a home made job to me, but I've never dealt with one of these kinds of lifts before, and frankly hope I don't have to again lol. Not a big fan of the design, about the only thing I do like is how level the engine sits dropped way down there
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

While theres a little play because the spring bushings themselves are also gone, the swaying movement is mostly coming from where the front shackles meet the body where the leaf springs usually mount. I'm assuming there is a bushing in there? I haven't taken it apart to see but the inside tab of that shackle on each side has about 1/4-1/2" over up/down movement (the outside seems pretty firm) which translates into a couple inches of movement of the frame side to side, especially when combined with the missing leaf spring bushings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190917_091006.jpg (163.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190917_091043.jpg (142.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Those look like some home brewed shackles. Hard to tell if there's any bushing at all installed. No wonder it's floating everywhere and I'm sure it's pretty loud too.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

After a little closer look, I don't think there is a bushing in there. The holes are all wallered out where the bolt goes through, so I'll just drill it out and use a little larger bolt. it must have happened because the leaf spring bushings have been gone for so long, all the extra movement must have made its way north!

Still drives good, doesn't make much noise really. You just have to take right hand turns slowly because the body shifts and the left rear tire rubs the fender liner

Funny right side that doesn't happen. maybe that's because I sit on the left and my wife keeps telling me I need to lose a few lbs...
Old 09-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You are gonna continue to have problems with that ghetto shackle setup. That rig is just plain not safe IMO. You can't have shackles on both ends of a leaf spring. There has to be a solid mount (to the frame of the vehicle) at one end of the spring. The leaf spring is a structural part of the suspension in that it determines and maintains the location of the axle relative to the frame. Thus it has to be attached directly to the frame at one end. If there is not a direct attachment to the frame it allows the entire axle to move fore/aft or side/side in relation to the vehicle, and that will cause many more problems than just a bit of body roll. Evidenced by the cracked/broken fan intake cover on the engine from hitting the shackle and the brake cable. That will also stretch and damage the brake cable sheath.

How big are the Zs on the front? The factory lifts are only 4" if I remember right.

Also, is the rear axle located above or below the spring? If it has a factory lift it should be below the spring.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I put some bushings in the springs and tightened those front mounts, made basically no difference. What you said was my initial thought as well to be honest, I was just trying not to have to do too much, it's basically just an ugly hunting buggy. It's not a nice tight rig like my carryall was or the blue DS... and frankly it needs too much body work to get there so the bedlinered body stays

Agreed, the rear suspension is pretty rough. I was thinking of ditching the entire setup back there, and flipping the springs to the top of the axle. I have a set of factory shackles, I just need to get some axle flip perches. I think that's the only way to make this thing right...

Yes the tire is on backwards not my doing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190917-171723_Gallery.jpg (393.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #10
aghead
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yup, like fairtax said, no solid mount on rear is like driving on a big glider chair.
Whats the wire and zip tie holding?
aghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car