lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Default Blown terminal on one battery.

My Ezgo TXT (2004 36v) blew a terminal on one battery. It looked as though the terminal simply developed a short and melted down resulting in the terminal bolt being freed from the lead it had been imbedded in being incinerated. Very curious thing that is totally puzzling.

To top it off, I was able to wedge the bolt head back into the remnants of the terminal and temporarily restore power.

Can you gurus shed some light on this conundrum? Many thanks!
MooreGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Blown terminal on one battery.

What likely happened was you had a poor connection at that terminal. A poor connection results in increased resistance. Increased resistance results in the generation of heat. Excessive heat results in a melted down battery terminal which is not an uncommon occurrence.

The poor connection could have been between the battery cable and the connector (a poor battery cable) or between the cable connector and the battery terminal. Either way, you should replace at least that affected battery cable and perhaps others (or all) depending on their condition and age.

Perhaps post a photo of the blown terminal and some members can suggest if repair options are "possible" or if you a better to replace the battery.

See this recent repair post: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=162813

Also see the attached Trojan discussion on this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Faulty Connections Thermal Images.JPG (158.9 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think "blown terminal" is totally the wrong term. It didn't "blow", like a fuse (as you are imagining it), but overheated & "melted down". (Meltdown is more accurate term than 'blown'). That lead terminal can pass 2000+ amps without "blowing", but what it cant withstand is any connection problem that creates heat that exceeds the melting point of lead (around 600° f). The problem here clearly lies upon a connection issue (loose terminal nut, bad cable, ect), unless you have the hottest hotrod cart in your state. The lead battery posts capability exceeds the batteries current (amp) capacity to deliver. (That means the battery would "sag down" before the terminal would "blow") .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I saw a "noob" link a 48v pack into "dead short" (going "full circle"), it destroyed the battery cable end (like a awesome welder), the battery cable took all the abuse, not the battery. But the threaded battery stud didnt survive. (And I bet he saw that light in his eyes for the next day).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Yes, seen this before too. Cable lug was bright orange for about 30 seconds afterwards and of course, the battery terminal was liquified.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Thanx for the in depth and thoughtful replies, guys.

Fact was, cgtech, “overheat and melt down” is exactly what it did—precisely what a fuse does in an excessively over-current situation—it blows!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Another common issue with the stud type battery terminals is over tightening the nut. Max torque is only 8.75 ft/lb (Spec is actually 105 in/lb).

The stud is a stainless steel hex head bolt embedded in the lead battery post and lead is a very soft metal, so when too much torque is applied to the nut, the hex head will twist inside the lead and only the six points of the hex head will be in contact with the lead afterwards instead of the six flats along with the six points. The net results is a radical increase in current density (amps per square inch) and the post melts from the resultant heat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

JB, you nailed it! The bolt head is unscathed, as is the cable, while the soft lead is essentially incinerated! (as I stated in my original post). I, too, was convinced that the guy at the shop had put too much muscle on that terminal and had twisted it inside the imbedding lead.

So, today, I’ve got that buggy loaded up on the trailer and will take it to the great new EzGo dealer over in Stephenville (TX) for a new set of Trojans. I will be sure to point out that over-torquing can lead to such destructive consequences.

You really do rule the roost, JohnnieB!!!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Yes, seen this before too. Cable lug was bright orange for about 30 seconds afterwards and of course, the battery terminal was liquified.
Sounds like what happened here, NCPW. Thanx!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO