lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
canterburya
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Precedent Gas blows fuse when GO pedal is pressed

I am working with a 2004 CC Precedent Gas cart. When the cart came to me it was a no crank. I found that the GCOR and the solenoid was faulty. After replacing those two components, now when I press the GO pedal it blows the 10 amp fuse. I unhooked the power feed going to the starter/gen and I get the same result. Must be a short somewhere. It is giving me a run for my money. Any help would be appreciated.
canterburya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Precedent Gas blows fuse when GO pedal is pressed

Something is connected wrong at the solenoid, the solenoid is faulty, or the GCOR is faulty.
Does the solenoid have a diode across the two small terminals? If that is installed the wrong way or has failed it will cause the fuse to blow.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
canterburya
Not Yet Wild

There is no diode installed on the solenoid. The solenoid tests good on the bench with a DVOM. Does it matter if the small wires are reversed? The GCOR was removed from a junk cart. I followed the test procedure in the service manual and it seems to be fine. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Blue wire on one side small post and the orange wire goes on the other side small post. Polarity shouldn’t matter unless you got the wrong solenoid somehow.
Where did you get the solenoid?

Blue is 12v in from key switch.
Orange is negative which goes to the GCOR throttle switch, and then to the limit switch on the shifter. Make sure with Key on you get 12v on both small posts of the solenoid. Disconnect the wire harness connector at the GCOR and jumper the Orange wire to ground. If the fuse blows the problem is at the solenoid or wiring to the solenoid. The Blue and Orange would have to be shorted together somewhere. In which case you would leave the GCOR disconnected, and remove both Blue and Orange wires from the solenoid, and check for continuity from Blue to Orange. If those have continuity they are shorted together, mouse damage, wires pinched, or someone’s previous hack job possibly. If No continuity the solenoid is bad.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
canterburya
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I will do some further troubleshooting based on the info that you provided. I got the solenoid from Golf Cart King SKU: 1117.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
canterburya
Not Yet Wild

When I shorted the orange wire to ground as you said it did pop the fuse again. I disconnected the orange and the blue wires at the solenoid and they did have continuity. According to the wiring diagram the blue and the orange wires are spliced together at which point there is a diode in that location. Could a faulty diode be causing this fuse to blow? I could be looking at the wrong diagram.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yep, that would probably be it. I don’t know the precedent well enough to say where the diode is, but it’s safe to say the diode is bad if it has it. I would think it should be in the harness relatively close to the solenoid. Worst case, you can get a separate diode for the solenoid, and run a new wire from the solenoid to the GCOR to replace the Orange one.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
canterburya
Not Yet Wild

So, I found the diode in the harness and cut it out so that I can test it with a DVOM. Now the cart cranks over and does not blow the fuse. I did'nt even hook the loose wires back up together.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car