lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #1
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default EZGO Marathon 1988 - F/R wiring woes

Got a new project, but never dealt with this one before. Motor was off and I've been looking at how to wire this thing back together...with the two F/R switches that I've been looking at, it almost leads me to believe that I have an older switch that used to connect to a resistor coil design which was upgraded to a controller design?? You got me.

The diagram shows a double microswitch, the second of which is connected to the black and white wires which lead to the potentiometer and ultimately the controller. My F/R switch does not have this second microswitch. It looks like the RED wire coming from the keyswitch was wired up to the MS-3 microswitch located near the solenoid, and the WHITE wire coming from the MS-4 was disconnected, as well as the BlACK wire from the reverse buzzer and the RED wire from the MS-2. So, without the second microswitch...I feel a little lost? Any ideas?

On a secondary note, I grabbbed 3 12Vs to test this thing, and it looks like the white wire needs to be connected to a 6v connection before the battery pack NEG...am I screwed into testing with 6V batteries only?

Thanks for the help!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marathon_Schematic.pdf (77.5 KB, 0 views)
poorpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon 1988 - F/R wiring woes

MS-2 is the "Run" microswitch and its contacts are closed in both F and in R.
MS-3 is the pedal switch.

MS-4 contacts are closed only in reverse. One set places a fixed 5K resistor in parallel with the 5K throttle potentiometer effectively changing it to a 2.5K pot for 1/2 speed reverse. The other set sounds the 6V reverse beeper. The dual switch is no longer available, so you have to choose between having 1/2 speed reverse, or a reverse warning beeper.

The 6V beeper can be replace with a more modern piezoelectric one that work on full battery pack voltage and eliminate the need to tap the battery pack at 6V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Appreciate the info, very helpful. For now, obviously going with the reverse option, maybe I'll look into finding a pieazzowhatsit reverse buzzer...but let's be real...how many people pay to have an annoying tone in their ear?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpeter View Post
Appreciate the info, very helpful. For now, obviously going with the reverse option, maybe I'll look into finding a pieazzowhatsit reverse buzzer...but let's be real...how many people pay to have an annoying tone in their ear?
Some people pay dearly for not having that annoying tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disconnected beeper lawsuit Pg-1.jpg (282.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Disconnected beeper lawsuit Pg-2.jpg (188.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Funny how cars don't have reverse buzzers, isn't it. Do Teslas have them? Legitimately don't know.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpeter View Post
Funny how cars don't have reverse buzzers, isn't it. Do Teslas have them? Legitimately don't know.
The vehicle owner/operator probably isn't culpable if the vehicle wasn't equipped with a reverse beeper by the manufacturer, but if it was and it was disabled by the owner/operator than guess whose pockets get emptied.

I'm not a lawyer, but I used to maintain medical equipment, so I had to acquire more than a passing understanding of tort law and in a nutshell, if you modify a machine, you become the manufacture of that machine.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
poorpeter
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

I suppose that makes sense. If you make a death tractor and it end ups destroying a town, I guess you should be liable for the manufacture of the tractor. Anyways, appreciate the advice, $50 doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way. Thanks for all the help!

Tags
1988, ezgo, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO