lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Steering improvement, stop the wander

Ever since I upgraded to more speed it seemed like it was challenging to keep the cart going straight, you really had to pay attention. The overall ride height is where it should be, level with the average load. After thoroughly checking all the steering components for wear and slop as well as the alignment, I decided to make some wedges out of marine grade Starboard to alter the castor angle (tilt of the front axle). I cut 2 wedges 2" x 4" at a 5 degree angle to place between the springs and axle. The cart steering is much more stable at all speeds now. Was a modification well worth doing!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steering improvement, stop the wander

Any pictures? Want to make 2 more wedges and mail them down the street? lol

Are you lifted and do you have AT tires?
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Like to see pics of upgrade 😊
Typically increasing toe in adds less responsiveness twitchiness in front end lessens wandering to steering input. Changing tire diameter from stock can-also
Cause you to change amount of toe in compared to stock setting.

Castor, will influence how easy / self centering steering returns to center once you let go of steering wheel so to speak.But will require more input at steering wheel to make cart turn as it changes king pin/ ball joint angle in relation to axle center line.
Curious as to what changed caster from stock.

Caster= how easily wheels return to straight ahead with no steering wheel input.

Toe in determines how responsive cart is to steering wheel input.
Thanks 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought this cart used and neglected so I don't know what all changed from stock. What I do know is that there is a back seat that was added and had a broken spring and worn out or missing bushings. Had a soggy *** syndrome or Carolina squat as some call it. I added new 3 leaf springs plus a heavier Navitas motor. Tires are stock height. I also swapped out the intermediate steering link twice. The original had a bad ball joint and was a splined unit. The second one was also splined but had slop in it which was only amplified at the steering wheel. So I recently installed a third that is kind of a cloverleaf design which is way better.

Adrianp89, I could make you some but you would need to be able to take some degree measurement of where you're at now.

Cobra,1, I understand everything you're saying. I started out playing with the toe in originally and adjusted it from 1/16" to 3/8" and it still seemed the same. So now I'm back to about 1/8". By increasing the castor does return to center better but I wouldn't say it centers itself. Steering effort has increased minimally and is manageable. As you can see I have had multiple issues with this cart but I'm happy with how it steers now. Thanks for your input!

I'll post a picture soon but I don't know how well you'll be able to see the wedge.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

The starboard material I used is black so it's hard to see but it is on top of the spring and under the axle. It is secured by the bolt in the front and sits between the 2 back bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6163.jpg (83.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I see. I have the 3 bolt so wouldn't work for me. Very creative though. Wish I knew more about steering to fix mine. Not a fan of going 30+ because its gets like that.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
willygee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Praise your forward thinking..pun intended...Might try this with my CC DS..can always remove the shim.
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
I see. I have the 3 bolt so wouldn't work for me. Very creative though. Wish I knew more about steering to fix mine. Not a fan of going 30+ because its gets like that.
adrian89, just an FYI, this is a 3 bolt.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought 3 bolt ended in mid 2001.5? If not, how much to make me a pair and ship them down the street?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
adrian89, just an FYI, this is a 3 bolt.
That looks like a four bolt column steering setup to me. Maybe it has been adapted at some point. Something does not make sense here. 🤔 Also, it may be my eyes, but do those springs curve upward? I could be wrong though. If so, that's possibly what caused the issue. It would upset the caster! Again, it may just be me, but it's difficult to tell if your wedges tilt the axle backward or forward. I will have to look on my pc rather than my phone.

The only time I have see that was when someone fitted earlier springs from pre 2001.5 which were longer and had an upward curve at the end of the spring. This was done to move the axle forward to allow bigger tires to be fitted without rubbing as the earlier springs were longer I fixed this for him by making wedges like you.

So you are saying, the steering column has three bolts at the base not four, but you have the later style axle and steering rack. The three bolt column would bolt to the early type steering rack which is bolted to the frame, but the later type column bolts to the frame with a shaft down to the axle mounted steering rack. This changed around 2001.5 as previously stated.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO