lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
dchs
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v (4x12x) RXV to Roypow - need dc/dc voltage reducer??

Over a year ago, I converted my 2016 RXV with 6 x 8v 48v to a Roypow S51105. Since this cart has a dc/dc reducer, it was simple to use the existing wiring from the reducer to the Roypow pack and provide the necessary 12v power to the cart. (Factory lights installed.)

However, now I am helping a friend convert his 2016 RXV with 4 x 12V FLA batteries. I believe that 12v in my friend's cart was provided directly from one of the 12v FLA batteries. (The wiring was removed from the batts before I could look, but I think that was the case.) There is no reducer on board, at least not in the normal location below the charger plug). However, the cart has factory lights.

Questions for the forum experts:
1. Do these carts use wiring to a single 12v battery for 12v circuitry for the lights and whatever else?

2. If so, does a dc/dc voltage reducer need to be installed on conversion to Roypow?

3. Or does "plug 'n' play" for a Roypow installation really mean that the red/black pair from the single 12v battery can go to the 48v output on the Roypow? Doesn't make sense to me, but I might be missing something.

4. If I need a voltage reducer, any recommendations? Does it need to be the EZGO standard?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
dchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 48v (4x12x) RXV to Roypow - need dc/dc voltage reducer??

Don't hook the lights to 48Volts! You need a reducer if there isn't one in the cart already. Many carts that used 4 x 12V batteries skimped and ran the lights on one of the 12V batteries. Some lithium drop-in's include a 12V output but if you don't have that, then you need to add a reducer. I would get a decent one with a trigger connection so that it is powered down when you turn off the key.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What volt said.
Get a 48 dc to 12 volt dc converter and run lights,stereo , ect off that.
May want to use fuse block or at least in line fuse going to those 12 volt accessories.
I wired my 48 to 12 volt converter to key switch so it is only powered on when key is on.
This helps eliminate slight parasitic drain from battery.
Carts unlimited has quality converters 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Converter should have two fuses - one for the 48V input and the other for the 12V output.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
dchs
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all. 48v to 12v reducer on the way!

Another couple of questions if you please:

1. Does the 12v only power lights (and whatever 12v accessories might be installed)?

2. And therefore, is everything else on the cart, including controller, sensors, brake switches, throttle switch etc run through the 48v system?

3. Which gets me to the last one... will the cart run at all without a 12v system? Should I be able to power up the 48v conversion to Roypow and operate, albeit without lights?

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Converter only powers lights,stereo or other “12” volt accessories you add.
It has no effect on carts other functions that all run on batteries 48 volt system so yes, cart will run without converter since cart use’s the 48 volt battery regardless if you have 12 volt reducer or not.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
dchs
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Cobra,1. Will check out cart functions on 48v only and wait for arrival of converter to get 12v lights etc working (with the necessary fuses!). Everyone has been a big help.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
Warden902
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Converter should have two fuses - one for the 48V input and the other for the 12V output.
What type of fuse can be used on the 48V input? Would a regular 25 amp inline fuse work? All I have are 12V fuses.
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

12V fuses are fine - just need the correct current rating. That depends on your converter. The 48V side has much lower current than the 12V side - by a factor of almost 4. So if it's a 30 amp converter, you should use a 10 amp fuse on the 48V side and a 30 amp on the 12V side.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #10
Warden902
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
12V fuses are fine - just need the correct current rating. That depends on your converter. The 48V side has much lower current than the 12V side - by a factor of almost 4. So if it's a 30 amp converter, you should use a 10 amp fuse on the 48V side and a 30 amp on the 12V side.
Thanks for the clarification!
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc/dc voltage reducer, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO