lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Tips for installing the Navitas AC controller and motor on Club Car President 2010

Hi there. I have the Navitas upgrade on order from the ever-so-helpful Plum Quick.

I'm pretty comfortable with the how-to video sent by PQ's Matt in terms of how to re-wire. It's just I have never pulled my golf cart apart. What would group members recommend I remove from the cart before I start - in terms of body panels? Seat? and is there a "how-to" anywhere? Is this really easy? Sorry if these are novice questions.

Also, I already have thick battery leads. Is there anything else I should replace? Matt told me that the Navitas installation relies on retasking the two existing cables from controller to motor - do these need replacing with HD versions? F-R switch needs to be replaced with an HD version? Are any other parts worth replacing? Any more tips?

Haven't done my own mechanic work since I was 17-18 and that was a **** long time ago so apologies for the basic questions. Many thanks.
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2022, 02:00 AM   #2
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tips for installing the Navitas AC controller and motor on Club Car President 201

Ok - perhaps I can ask this another way - how can I get to my motor on a CC Precedent 4-seater with back-to-back seats?

Also, my cart is unlifted. Any issues installing the Navitas?
Old 06-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
jws2010CC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Tips for installing the Navitas AC controller and motor on Club Car President 201

Hey there. I am about to do the same to my 2010. If you are a novice with this, i would highly recommend going to youtube and studying. Ryan Fenters (fentertainment) has many instructional videos for you to start off with. From my research, your cart would need to be lifted for that particular motor. i would also recommend studying this forum. You should also know that having a quick Q&A on here should NOT be expected. There is, however, a ton a great info on here to assist you and loads of forum members who work in this business. My only other suggestion would be to "over prepare", if you have never tackled something like this. make a checklist of everything you will need. Down to cleaning supplies, tools, and reference guides. Good luck! Please post pics of your progress, you will likely get more responses with images.
jws2010CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
RickO
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Talking Re: Tips for installing the Navitas AC controller and motor on Club Car President 201

I have a 2007 Precedent and just completed a Navitas conversion with a new FSIP DC motor, new cables and HD solenoid. Everything went pretty well but I did nearly everything JWS2010CC suggests. Use the heck out of Youtube and this forum.

Mine is a standard Precedent so I won't be of much help regarding how to deal with a four seater. I put the entire cart up on four jack stands. Remove the back wheels and motor access panel in the rear. Take a lot of photos and even video so you will be able to reference back to what you have taken apart. I removed my 4X12 batteries.

Now for "surprises" to prepare for in case you encounter them:

1) If, after removing the bolts holding it in place, your old motor just slides out... you are one lucky fella. It's apparently quite common for the motors to seize onto the splines. If that is the case, the job complexity doubles. You'll probably have to remove the entire rear end... lift it 3' off the pavement ... and drop it hard in order to use the weight of the old motor to break the seize. Yes, mine was seized but there is a great deal of material on this forum explaining what to do.

2) IF your motor is seized onto the spline, you will have to remove the entire rear end of the cart. To remove the rear end of the cart, you will need to at least drop the leaf springs by removing the rear bolts holding them in place. The bolts holding my old OEM single leaf springs in place were... you guessed it... seized to the metal bushings so I had to cut each of the four bolts in two places with a Sawzall. I bought new 3 leaf springs and stainless mounting bolts with nylon lock nuts.

3) If you have to go through #1 and #2 above, don't bother trying to install the new motor onto the rear end assembly before installing the rear end in the cart. I thought I could mount my new FSIP motor onto the rear end... make a sort of jig to fit onto my floor jack and then just roll the whole thing into place while I reattached the leaf springs. It didn't work for a number of reasons and the motor I was dealing with was far smaller and lighter than the beast you'll be installing. While I had the rear end on the bench, I replaced the entire brake assemblies, made sure they were lubed and operating smoothly, and changed the differential fluid.

4) If you have been the only owner of this cart, you won't have this problem, but I found a massive amount of "orphaned" wiring which appeared to be from a couple of prior light kits. The wires for my current voltage reducer were a mess too so I took the time to clean that all up.

Hopefully you won't face any of these problems but just in case....

Good luck.

RickO
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobdiddy View Post
Ok - perhaps I can ask this another way - how can I get to my motor on a CC Precedent 4-seater with back-to-back seats?

Also, my cart is unlifted. Any issues installing the Navitas?
You will have to access the motor from underneath the cart. As far as the install as whole, it's not very difficult if you're mechanically incline any at all and understand and follow instructions.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:33 AM   #6
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Hi again - my cart isn't lifted - I should have enquired on this point before buying. Can someone who knows confirm to me whether or not I can in fact install this motor on an unlifted cart? Many thanks
Old 06-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobdiddy View Post
Hi again - my cart isn't lifted - I should have enquired on this point before buying. Can someone who knows confirm to me whether or not I can in fact install this motor on an unlifted cart? Many thanks
The non lifted issue is for the Club Car DS. Both motors should fit in a Precedent. It will be a tight fit. Worst case scenario you may have to remove a shock to install then reinstall shock.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #8
acehighclm
Not Yet Wild

I installed the motor by myself by sliding a piece if 1/8 x 12 x 30 aluminum over the axal from the back of the cart and a floor jack in front of the axal, under the plate, to help support the weight of the motor. Slide the motor in from the access hole in the back of the cart and raised the jack until the spindle aligned. The motor is around 75 lbs so finding help wouldn't hurt. I'm just hard headed. You cant take too many pictures before and during install and YES, replace all of your cables with 2 gauge fine stranded cables.
acehighclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

OK thanks for all the advice - installation was super quick (took about an hour with the help of my non-English speaking mechanic).

Motor went in fine - from above through the access hatch - into a non-lifted cart. Dont think I could have done this alone due to the weight of the motor (and I can bench 125KG). Wiring is easy - especially if you aren't replacing the solenoid.

One small issue is the cart has a quiet buzz from the reverse buzzer in "Forward" and so I will order an HD F-R switch.

I would also recommend that you order a replacement B+ lead if you are doing this as this is not provided - luckily I had already upgraded mine previously.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car