lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Default 08 Club Car Ds blowing fuses with BU wiring harness

So... I bought a 08 Club Car DS from someone that bought it from a auction. The car didn't run when he bought it so he replaced the motor, rebuilt controller, selonoid, Mcor, new no name batteries, battery cables and key switch. He couldnt get it to work and I bought it. Evidently it got wet some where in its life so I also replaced the main wiring harness with a buggies unlimited harness because stock ones won't be available until Nov. After the harness install the cart would run in forward but had kind of rhythmical surge of going faster and slower faster and slower and eventually blow the 5a fuse that connects to the positive side of the selonoid. I then removed the resistor and it immediately blew the fuse as soon as I touched the pedal.

Any ideas or what to check to see why it pops the fuse?, Bad selonoid maybe? All the parts that were replaced before I bought it were pretty low quality so there is no telling if they are good. As a matter of fact when I first put the harness on it would only turn the wheel super slow in forward and basically no reverse. I put on a old mcor 1 that I knew was good and it started working better but did the fast slow surge thing. My point is I already found one new part that doesn't work the selonoid or any of the other items could be bad also.

I know that's a lot to digest. Just trying to figure out where to go from here.
Billetbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 08 Club Car Ds blowing fuses with BU wiring harness

I'm pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that should be a 15 amp fuse. However, You need to have the resistor on the large posts of the solenoid. The resistor provides the pre-charge for the capacitors in the controller. Without it there the solenoid contacts will arc and burn when it engages, and it may also cause the fuse to blow because of the spike in current going into the controller.

Rythmic surging in speed could be several things, but we won't really know unless you have a decent voltmeter and know how to use it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty handy with a volt meter. It's partly how I got it from completely dead to limping now. It's a 5a fuse it keeps blowing. I just can't figure out why it blows the fuse when it's under a load. Until I get that figured out I am not able to get started on the surge issue.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Like I said, that fuse may be too small, try maybe a 10 amp fuse and see if that changes anything.

Usually if a fuse is blowing it's going to be something hooked to the Tow/Run switch circuit that isn't supposed to be there, or the diode on the solenoid has failed. The diode goes across the small posts and can be removed temporarily for testing, but should be replaced if it is bad. It can be check with the diode check function of the multimeter.
The stripe has to be oriented towards the positive supply wire for the solenoid which will be the Light Blue wire on a factory harness.

Also check that all wiring is connected in the right places by going over the diagram and making sure no wires are going to the wrong place. Kinda hard to hook them up wrong with a factory harness since the wires typically only reach to the components they're supposed to hook to, but you never know what someone may have pulled/yanked or tried to modify.

This diagram is close to what you have, some wire colors may be different, but functions by pin are the same.

Also double check all battery cabling for proper placement, and connections. When making battery connections the large cables need to be in direct contact with the lead posts, and any smaller wires can be placed on top of those.
Make sure there are NO ground or negative wires attached to the Frame of the cart. No lighting or anything electrical can be grounded to the frame on an electric cart. Grounding to the frame Will cause problems, and lead to possible fire.

If you have lights or any other electric accessories, disconnect those until you have the main issues sorted out.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate your detailed response. I reinstalled the resistor and put in a 10a fuse. The cart is on jack stands. It will run but after a minute or so it will blow the fuse. Reverse seems worse. It will run and then stop, many times when it stops its because it blew the fuse or some times I can let off the pedal and it will work again. I don't know why I keep going back to the solenoid but I wonder if it is weak and looses connection and some how grounds out causing the fuse to blow. This is a complete guess on my part. It's kind of aggrevating because all the components work initially then quit once the fuse blows making it kind of hard to diagnose. The one thing I have not done that was suggested is remove the diode. It is soldered on the small contacts.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The diode is not likely at faut then, usually if the diode is the problem it will blow the fuse immediately.
The solenoid itself could be a problem. What solenoid is it? Does it have a name brand or it is a made in china cheapy?
How about the controller? Is there a model number or any info on the label?

The fuse feeds several things, so you could start checking wiring at those for any damaged insulation or evidence of other damage like overheating.

Key switch, MCOR, Solenoid, FnR switch, and the OBC.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

The solenoid is one of those crappy amazon specials. I think I might look into a better one. It is new but a new piece of crap is still a piece of crap. The controller is a curtis 1510 I believe but of course it is a rebuilt fsp so I'm not sure if it's 100% either.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Then I would switch out the solenoid if you have a spare, or rig up a separate fused power wire and switch for the solenoid. Isolate the solenoid to it's own circuit so if the fuse blows again you know it's either the solenoid, or something else on the cart.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

So I switched out the solenoid and the resistor end came off in my hand when taking it off. Thought that may have been my issue but said screw it and put on another ancient solenoid and resistor from another cart. Everything started working like a champ but reverse still seemed a little weak. Thought maybe I'm just crazy but it was not blowing the fuse on the jack stands.. Put the cart back together drove it for about 3 miles and worked perfect. Put it in reverse to put in the garage and pop goes the fuse.

So basically it works fine in forward but not in reverse.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

I have two threads going on two different ds carts in case anyone is wondering. I took parts of one to diagnose the other and now neither one work lol.

So after driving this cart some it will blow the fuse in the harness if you press full throttle on the pedal from 0 to 100 quickly. I can literally drive it for miles at full throttle and it's fine but if I stop and push the pedal straight to the floor it will pop the fuse. Wth.

Any thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car