lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #1
ls1chris
Getting Wild

Default what does the OBC actually do??

i have read and searched all over the CC forum, i am not asking for lack of trying. what is the actual function of the OBC? why do we delete the OBC? i am building a 2010 precedent ( EXCEL controller) converting to a Navitas 5k AC, and want to use an ERIC charger. will the ERIC charger provide the same charge protections as the OBC ? ( i assume thats what the OBC does)
i have an extra ERIC charger and my onward also has one, so for convenience i would like to have both cart on the same charging system ( concerns my wife or kids will use the wrong charger and let all kinds of magic smoke out of the new controller)
thanks
Chris.
ls1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: what does the OBC actually do??

The OBC controls the original charger - that's all. Remove it if you have a self contained charger.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suggest to bypass not remove the OBC as it does have functions beyond charger control depending upon the cart year
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't go out of my way to use an ERIC charger, but if you already have it it's relatively easy to connect to the cart and everything will work exactly the same.

Zero chance that plugging in the wrong charger will burn anything up. The ERIC charger will not function if connected to an OBC cart, and the Powerdrive charger can not function if connected to an ERIC cart when in factory configuration. IF the charging circuit of an ERIC cart has been modified incorrectly that is the only way a Powerdrive charger would or could do any harm, and it would result in the batteries eventually boiling dry, but only if left plugged in for several days. You would very likely notice long before it did any harm.

As for what the OBC actually does. The OBC controls the charge functions of the original Powerdrive series charger. Primarily it controls On/off, charger output, and controller interlock function so the cart cant be driven away when the charger is plugged in.
When changing from the OBC system to an ERIC or any other smart charger you need to bypass the charging circuit of the OBC, and connect the interlock wire in the OBC harness so the cart will operate.
The ERIC charger has interlock function which is easy to connect, it just requires a 10kOhm 1/2W resistor to be installed on the cart wiring. Those are usually less than $1 if you have a local electronics store. Ordering online there are plenty of sources, but often they sell in bulk (like 10 to a pack) and takes a few days to get in the mail.

Use the upper diagram for some visual help. The Lower diagram is useful if you want an indicator LED of some kind to show that the cart is in Interlock, though it's not necessary.
On the 6 pin harness for the OBC you have a White wire which is 48+ from the Tow/Run switch.
And a Blue wire which is the interlock wire to the controller.
The Grey wire from the charge receptacle will be connect to the Blue wire.
The White wire will be connected to the 10k resistor.
The other end of the resistor connected to the splice of the Blue and Grey wires. Solder the connections and cover with heat shrink after testing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
ls1chris
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I wouldn't go out of my way to use an ERIC charger, but if you already have it it's relatively easy to connect to the cart and everything will work exactly the same.

Zero chance that plugging in the wrong charger will burn anything up. The ERIC charger will not function if connected to an OBC cart, and the Powerdrive charger can not function if connected to an ERIC cart when in factory configuration. IF the charging circuit of an ERIC cart has been modified incorrectly that is the only way a Powerdrive charger would or could do any harm, and it would result in the batteries eventually boiling dry, but only if left plugged in for several days. You would very likely notice long before it did any harm.

As for what the OBC actually does. The OBC controls the charge functions of the original Powerdrive series charger. Primarily it controls On/off, charger output, and controller interlock function so the cart cant be driven away when the charger is plugged in.
When changing from the OBC system to an ERIC or any other smart charger you need to bypass the charging circuit of the OBC, and connect the interlock wire in the OBC harness so the cart will operate.
The ERIC charger has interlock function which is easy to connect, it just requires a 10kOhm 1/2W resistor to be installed on the cart wiring. Those are usually less than $1 if you have a local electronics store. Ordering online there are plenty of sources, but often they sell in bulk (like 10 to a pack) and takes a few days to get in the mail.

Use the upper diagram for some visual help. The Lower diagram is useful if you want an indicator LED of some kind to show that the cart is in Interlock, though it's not necessary.
On the 6 pin harness for the OBC you have a White wire which is 48+ from the Tow/Run switch.
And a Blue wire which is the interlock wire to the controller.
The Grey wire from the charge receptacle will be connect to the Blue wire.
The White wire will be connected to the 10k resistor.
The other end of the resistor connected to the splice of the Blue and Grey wires. Solder the connections and cover with heat shrink after testing.
thanks!! i saw this in the obc sticky, but there is a lot going on in there and kinda bounces around abit, tough to follow. i have boxes of replacement electrical components in the shop , my winter hobby is refurbing arcade and pinball machines. when i get home next week i will get digging and post pics for comment before i plug anything in.
ls1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #6
Thomasdthe3rd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just got an eco battery and just finished putting it in. I am using the charger eco sent me so I took out the OBC. Do I have have to connect the blue and white together? I got a new charging port also so I don’t have the grey wire coming from that. Do I need to put a resistor inline with the blue and white wire? I remember reading about this before but couldn’t find it. Right now, the cart won’t move, won’t do anything so I’m assuming I’m missed this step. Any input appreciated.
Thomasdthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:35 AM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just connect the blue and white, no resistor needed.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Interesting Alltrax bulletin:

https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...ub-Car-OBC.pdf
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Just connect the blue and white, no resistor needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasdthe3rd View Post
I just got an eco battery and just finished putting it in. I am using the charger eco sent me so I took out the OBC. Do I have have to connect the blue and white together? I got a new charging port also so I don’t have the grey wire coming from that. Do I need to put a resistor inline with the blue and white wire? I remember reading about this before but couldn’t find it. Right now, the cart won’t move, won’t do anything so I’m assuming I’m missed this step. Any input appreciated.
As said above, just connect the white and blue wires that go to the 6 pin connector for the OBC.
The ECO charger doesn't have an interlock function, so you don't need any resistors or any other wires. If you want to have a functioning interlock it can be done, but it's much more in depth. I would suggest you either remember to turn off the cart and remove the key while it is charging. And/or run the charge cable through the steering wheel so it is obvious and in the way that it needs to be unplugged before the cart can move.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Doing away with the OBC was the best thing CC could have done.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car