lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default No Spark CCW fe290

1992 FE 290 been sitting awhile. cleaned up all the grounds and connections. Solenoid to starter is bad because it clicks but sends no power to the post on the starter side, so going to order one of those.

When I jump the solenoid with a wire to turn the motor over everything seems normal except I have no spark. Yesterday I had spark for 1 second when I turned it over the first time, then no more spark. Did the same thing the day before. I See spark right away and can't get it to spark again. Brand new plug

Followed the steps here: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=47470

And had no luck getting any spark. I am at step 3 and I don't have a known good ignitor to try.

can anyone confirm that the 1997+ coil with built in ignitor will bolt right up to my motor? do I need to run any wires or do any other modifications to make it function correctly? trying to figure out details before I spend $150 on a new coil that I can't return.

Also open to try anything else before I tear the covers off the motor
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: No Spark CCW fe290

If you are jumping the solenoid to turn the motor over you’re not going to have spark. Put the cart in neutral, flip the yellow knob 180 degrees on the back of the shifter to put it in maintenance mode and use the pedal to spin the motor. There’s a microswitch that will ground the coil when the pedal is released. This is what shuts off the motor when you release the pedal.

Yes, you can delete the ignitor and use a new style coil. Get one from David hicks at revolution golf cars for an oem one.

Also, silly question but have you replaced the spark plug? I recently bought a DS with supposedly no spark. I replaced the champion spark plug with an NGK and spark was great.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 PM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If you are jumping the solenoid to turn the motor over you’re not going to have spark. Put the cart in neutral, flip the yellow knob 180 degrees on the back of the shifter to put it in maintenance mode and use the pedal to spin the motor. There’s a microswitch that will ground the coil when the pedal is released. This is what shuts off the motor when you release the pedal.

Yes, you can delete the ignitor and use a new style coil. Get one from David hicks at revolution golf cars for an oem one.

Also, silly question but have you replaced the spark plug? I recently bought a DS with supposedly no spark. I replaced the champion spark plug with an NGK and spark was great.
I got no spark in maintenance mode. the solenoid acts like it isn't working. There is no power from the battery side of the solenoid to the starter side of the solenoid so I had to jump it. i push pedal and it doesn't matter if in maintenace mode, forward, reverse, etc. tried them all multiple times. So in other words the pedal is not turning the motor over at all. Are you suggesting I replace the solenoid first and then try the coil? from the way i understand your response I could possibly replace my solenoid and end up with spark?

-the solenoid was clicking the last couple days when i put power to it via the pedal, but today it completely stopped clicking at all. I'm guessing its shot either way so I planned to replace

If i "delete" the ignitor and use a new style coil are there no wires for the ignitor that I need to re route? do I need to use a newer rev limiter? the rev limiter needing to be replaced with a newer one seems to be 50/50 on whether or not that actually needs to be replace depending on who you talk to.

Actually called revolution today to ask about the new style coil and see if he could tell me if I needed a new rev limiter but I think i called right before they closed so I was going to try again tomorrow. At this point I think I may wait and try a solenoid first to see if it gets me anywhere.

I put brand new NGK plug on the wire, shouldn't be a bad plug its only been used to test spark.

As of tonight the motor is out. I'm guessing cart hadnt been cleaned since it was new so I'm going to power wash the frame/axle/cradle as well as the engine mounting plates, etc. I figured I needed to pull the motor to get to the coil (if I didn't need to I dont care, it would be alot easier to get to if the motor is out of the cart) anyways but now I may wait and try the solenoid first if I am understanding the first part of your comment correctly
Old 09-21-2022, 12:02 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok let’s take a few steps back here and focus on one issue at a time. The solenoid does not work with the pedal. That’s problem #1. It could be a solenoid or it could be a microswitch issue or could be a blown fuse or a key switch has failed.

So let’s start with the basics.

With the yellow knob in normal mode, and the shifter in gear, there are 2 small terminals on the solenoid. Hook your meter up to both small terminals. With key on, shifter in gear, and pedal down…. You should see 12v. If your meter leads are backwards it will show -12v but that’s fine. It just means you’ve got the leads reversed. I’ll be honest, it’s late, I’m on my phone, and don’t feel like looking at the wiring diagram to see which should be power or ground

If you have 12v (or negative 12v) then we know your activation circuit and microswitches are good. And solenoid would be failed. If not, then we will need to find out which one is missing. 12v or ground.

If you want to verify, you can shut everything off. Then use jumper wires to hook 12v to one small terminal and ground to the other one and make it click and starter should spin. It doesn’t really matter which terminal gets which. Just make sure the key and everything is shut off before doing the jumpers

Let’s start here and see what we end up with.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Ok let’s take a few steps back here and focus on one issue at a time. The solenoid does not work with the pedal. That’s problem #1. It could be a solenoid or it could be a microswitch issue or could be a blown fuse or a key switch has failed.

So let’s start with the basics.

With the yellow knob in normal mode, and the shifter in gear, there are 2 small terminals on the solenoid. Hook your meter up to both small terminals. With key on, shifter in gear, and pedal down…. You should see 12v. If your meter leads are backwards it will show -12v but that’s fine. It just means you’ve got the leads reversed. I’ll be honest, it’s late, I’m on my phone, and don’t feel like looking at the wiring diagram to see which should be power or ground

If you have 12v (or negative 12v) then we know your activation circuit and microswitches are good. And solenoid would be failed. If not, then we will need to find out which one is missing. 12v or ground.

If you want to verify, you can shut everything off. Then use jumper wires to hook 12v to one small terminal and ground to the other one and make it click and starter should spin. It doesn’t really matter which terminal gets which. Just make sure the key and everything is shut off before doing the jumpers

Let’s start here and see what we end up with.

I will update when I have the motor back in but its going to be several days, I have pulled it to clean everything up.

at one point the solenoid was clicking and I had power to the + post from the battery and power to the small wires. Before I pulled the motor I hadno power to the small wires the solenoid stopped clicking when pushing the pedal. Thats why I decided to go head and start cleaning and pull the motor as I don't have any parts to try and replace anything.

I will updated when I put the motor back in - I really hope I don't have to pull it twice
Old 09-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry, I thought the motor was still installed. But… The second time is always easier. I’ve done enough of them I can have it pulled out and on the bench in about 15 minutes now. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not…

If you want to do a new coil while it’s apart, I wouldn’t blame you either. Get one from revolution so you know it’s good. I just hate spending money on parts unnecessarily and would rather spend a little more time diagnosing and being sure whatever I replace will fix the problem. But I’ve had times where I’ve also bought new parts to install just because it’s apart and sometimes the hundred bucks is worth more than the potential of spending the extra time to do it again.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

While you have the engine on the bench, you can easily test for spark. One thing you can do to eliminate any question about the rev limiter, just unplug it from the coil.

As CP241 said, testing is cheap and easier than replacing parts, so make sure you test.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
While you have the engine on the bench, you can easily test for spark. One thing you can do to eliminate any question about the rev limiter, just unplug it from the coil.

As CP241 said, testing is cheap and easier than replacing parts, so make sure you test.

Richard

This may sound stupid but how do i test for spark while its on the bench?

I tested the rev limiter following the steps from the link in my original post, but not sure if thats what you're talking about.

Is there a way to test the coil on the bench?

I have a bit more cleaning to do but motor and cradle are clean I want to drop them back in today if I get a chance.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:34 PM   #9
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Remove the fan cover, unplug the kill wire that goes to the coil, put a spark plug on the plug wire, ground the plug to the engine with a couple clips, spin the the engine with your electric drill.

Don't get you fingers in the fan.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
Remove the fan cover, unplug the kill wire that goes to the coil, put a spark plug on the plug wire, ground the plug to the engine with a couple clips, spin the the engine with your electric drill.

Don't get you fingers in the fan.

Richard
This test didn't do anything for me as far as finding spark but I did end up finding spark.

When I had the fan cover off I cleaned up the coil (had some rust) and was cleaning lots of dirt out from behind the cover/fan etc. Two days ago I powerwashed the motor, frame, motor plates etc (they had never been cleaned it was a greasy mess) so I could work on a clean machine.

Today put the motor in after the bench test didn't show me anything (not sure if my drill didn't turn it fast enough or not) and i put in new solenoid because the original one wasn't clicking when I was putting power to it via the pedal.

After new solenoid I started the steps outlined above in the link I posted in my original post. When I pulled the white/black wire no spark, but when I pulled the ground off of the rev limiter I got all kinds of blue spark. I'm not sure if I needed to clean up the coil or the solenoid wasn't doing its job but I think I've determined the rev limiter is bad if I'm reading that post correctly.

Called revolution but it was right as they closed and the computers were down so I plan on calling monday, hopefully club car still makes rev limiters for these older carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car