lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #1
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Default But WHY do the motor brakes fail?

By now we all know that the RXV has issues with the motor brake. But why? What is failing inside of the brake itself?
Rdangeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: But WHY do the motor brakes fail?

I won't say the RXV has issues with the em brake. Sure, the brake can fail like any other part but, i personally can't confirm that. I've purchased my cart in 2017, equiped with the oem em brake ( date code 2008 ) and haven't had any problem My recommendation for any RXV owners would be, to understand how this " Intellibrake System " really works.

The picture were taken in 2020, no visible wear on the brake parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210921_132304.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #3
bdserv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One issue with the motor brake is that water can get inside and remain there for some time since there is no easy way for it to get out. This results in corrosion of the internal parts.

My brake started making slight scraping noises while driving so I removed it and cleaned up all the internal parts - there was a visible water line on the inside of the outer brake case marked by corrosion and rust.

Cleaning up the internals as well as the motor stub shaft took care of the problem and the brake has been fine since.

It's probably a good idea to take the brake apart and inspect it periodically depending on how often it might be exposed to the possibility of water ingress.
bdserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdserv View Post

It's probably a good idea to take the brake apart and inspect it periodically depending on how often it might be exposed to the possibility of water ingress.
I would fully agree with that, for sure it's a question of use and the climate conditions. My fleet cart came anywhere from South Europe/Africa, so less water contact i guess. And it's pretty easy to take the brake apart for inspection and cleaning ( important to clean the three bolts as well for free movement of the pressure plate and brake disc ).
Old 09-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've read on here that you only get a few emergency stops out of a brake. I've never had to use mine but have had power failures that caused a lock up.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Third motor brake replacement within the last 6 months. What could be causing this. I am the only driver. This most recent occasion brake just locked up in middle of golf course. Removed brake and Towed to cart shed. Loosend brake up with the two screws and then retightened. Worked for that day and part of next but then locked up while moving. One hell of a stop. Repeated same procedure as day before. Wouldn’t work. Recieved new brake the following day and installed. Played 54 holes of golf this weekend. Not a problem? What it is?
Rdangeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:57 PM   #7
jon21588
Not Yet Wild

I would wager corrosion in the wiring harness. I recently had to replace the white wire from the brake switch on a cart with similar issues.
jon21588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:24 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The em brake needs electrical power to be open ( disengaged). If the controller detects a major fault, it cuts the power to the brake. This is a security function. Or, as mentioned, a bad harness/connection could be the culprit. To replace the brake every time, will be pretty expensive. Also, one lock up on a golf yard shouldn't destroy the brake.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Could be a bad solenoid dropping out.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, i've forgot the solenoid... mine has quit working some times ago, but fortunately in standstill.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO