lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
chiott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default new battery wont charge

I replaced all 6 -6v battery's three months ago. the main battery comeing off the charger plug would'nt fully charge. So i rpleaced it with another new one and now its doing the same thing. Any suggestions?
chiott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
gaston
Gone Wild

Default Re: new battery wont charge

welcome to forum chiott, I think you should be more clear here, which is the main battery for your understanding? how come did you replaced all the 6 batteries and then again one of them?
What is your cart? I assume ezgo as this is ezgo forum, type of charger? Did you read individual voltages? whole pack voltage? did you check charger connections?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
chiott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry for not being clearer. I have 83 ezgo marathon and the charger is textron timer charger. I replaced all 6 battery's a couple of months ago. The main battery i call it is the one close to the charger plug on the cart. I would drive it for about 30 minutes and the cart would start dieing. so i charged it and the battery wouldn't charge upto 6.42 like the rest of them( i put a meter on each to test). I went and got another new battery 1 month ago and yesterday it started do to the samething. I am thinking it has something to do with the charge plug on the cart? Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
gaston
Gone Wild

batteries brand?
What was the reading on that battery? You can check cells individually to see if their voltage is above 2 volts.
There's no main battery in a pack. The main battery it would be the whole pack. You have to think in terms of a one big battery here, the reason why they are separate is to meet industry requirements and usefulness but once you have a pack interconnected this is ONE 36v battery in your case and they act as 1 unit. If one the batts is failing being new as you said, this is not good at all.
Now if other batteries are charging good, there's no reason why the first battery should not charge ok.
IF you have 6.2 or around the battery seems ok but it could be bad, also you need a hydrometer to test specific gravity on that battery.

Now, you said you have installed another new battery, but you previously had installed whole new batteries few months ago, sorry but this does not make sense to me unless as asked first, the brand is one of those off shelf batts that sometimes could be different ages.

Check all the wiring and connectors for excellent contact, those plugs are likely to fail
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Batteries in golf carts are wired in series. That means each battery recieves the exact same charge and discharge current as any other battery in the string.

Is it possible you have something like lights or a radio wired across the suspect battery?
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
gaston
Gone Wild

good point dereck, haven't thought on that
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Thanks but this tells me he has his batteries wired incorrectly, or something is connected to the suspect battery like lights or a radio draining it down.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
chiott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did install lights on the cart. I have wired into 2 batteries as they are 12v fog lights. I guess I can undo the lights and go from there. The batts are from sams club and i thought I got a bad one so I took it back and got another one. There is a two month different date on them if that matters at all.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Thanks but this tells me he has his batteries wired incorrectly, or something is connected to the suspect battery like lights or a radio draining it down.
That would explain the main battery designation? But 6v lights? Seems we would need 2 main batteries ... for 12v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That would explain the main battery designation? But 6v lights? Seems we would need 2 main batteries ... for 12v
Yes I know, but with the batteries wired in series and one not charging is just not right as they all recieve the same charge and discharge rates. If he is wired across two of them for 12 volts, then he should have two batteries being drawn down, not one.

I still suspect he has the batteries wired incorrectly, like one of them not wired in, or the wrong configuration some how. Just does not make since that one battery is not charging, replace it, and still not charging. Not possible in a series wiring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO