lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Marathonman1994
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery Break-in

I heard that when you break in the batteries, you run them down to 70% and then charge again. How do you tell when you have hit that 70%? Is it just checking the voltage after driving and seeing how much it has come down or is there a procedure to do that?
Marathonman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Battery Break-in

Yes take your DVM and test the battery pack and see what the volts are, and yes try not to run them below 70% for the first 20 chargers, then never below 50%,

read this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...one-right.html

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
bigned
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Yes take your DVM and test the battery pack and see what the volts are, and yes try not to run them below 70% for the first 20 chargers, then never below 50%,

read this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...one-right.html

I am somewhat confused by what you are saying. I have read in the battery care thread to always charge batteries after 30 minutes of use. After 30 minutes of use my digital meter does not even move (New Batteries) . So you are saying I must run the cart until it is down to 70% for the first 20 times I use it? I don't always have the time to do that, will my batteries suffer because of it? I am an ol fart so I need some help so I can do this thing right. thanks
bigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigned View Post
I am somewhat confused by what you are saying. I have read in the battery care thread to always charge batteries after 30 minutes of use. After 30 minutes of use my digital meter does not even move (New Batteries) . So you are saying I must run the cart until it is down to 70% for the first 20 times I use it? I don't always have the time to do that, will my batteries suffer because of it? I am an ol fart so I need some help so I can do this thing right. thanks
No, your batteries will not suffer if you do not draw them down to 70%, you can use 80 or even 90%. The idea is to make a lighter than normal discharge and recharge immediately. I tell my customers to use 15 minutes of driving as a reference ..... there may be something wrong with your meter if you can drive for 30 minutes and the meter is still on 100%. Is it a LED bar graph meter?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
bigned
Not Yet Wild

It is an LED bar, I will make the same route today and time it Scotty. I may be wrong on the time but I thought I was gone for 30 minutes or so and I didn't stop, only for traffic signs. I understand better now what you were saying just light use and charge.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, light use and charge is actually the wet cell battery's preferred cycle
Typically they can give 700 deep cycles or 5000 shallow cycles.

Check the battery pack voltage when the first bar drops off the scale. And then again at the second when it drops... so you know what the voltage at those points.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
bigned
Not Yet Wild

I will do that later today Scotty, thanks for all your help.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

again i have to agree with scotty.....don,t put all your faith in a battery meter analog or bar graph......i think i just did the smart thing i just put led voltage meters in both my carts they show me what voltage it drops to when i 1st hit peddle and how fast it recovers and to exact voltage say 49.2 volts thats what i see 49.2 volts.............nice thing is they only use like 1/2 of a milli volt when hooked direct to pack.......all elec. carts should come with these.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
bigned
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
No, your batteries will not suffer if you do not draw them down to 70%, you can use 80 or even 90%. The idea is to make a lighter than normal discharge and recharge immediately. I tell my customers to use 15 minutes of driving as a reference ..... there may be something wrong with your meter if you can drive for 30 minutes and the meter is still on 100%. Is it a LED bar graph meter?
Scottyb, I can't get out today I forgot about it being Father's Day. My son had a lot of things planned and the first part of my week will be busy. I will do what you ask but I will have to get back to you later this week. I am using a Fluke to check the batteries is that recommended or should you use something else?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Just 1 More
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
again i have to agree with scotty.....don,t put all your faith in a battery meter analog or bar graph......i think i just did the smart thing i just put led voltage meters in both my carts they show me what voltage it drops to when i 1st hit peddle and how fast it recovers and to exact voltage say 49.2 volts thats what i see 49.2 volts.............nice thing is they only use like 1/2 of a milli volt when hooked direct to pack.......all elec. carts should come with these.............................
got a link to the meter you use???
Just 1 More is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO