lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
shaggy
Getting Wild

Default 3pg exhaust mod

Not sure how, but half of my tail pipe broke off. can i put a larger/ longer diameter tube on it without adding too much back pressure . or should i just leave well enough alone and put original back on . kinda like to make it a duel out the back.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3pg exhaust mod

2 cycles are real sensitive to exhaust size. never heard of anyone successfully modifying a 3pg muffler, so i would go back to original. they need a certain amount of back pressure to work properly, unlike a 4 cycle.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
shaggy
Getting Wild

thanks for your response, just wondering if i "could get away with it, and still go to heaven" so to speak...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I have no science to back this up but I think that the backpressure will be in the manifold and the muffler. I would experiment with the tailpipe. If it doesn't work cut it to the right length and you lose nothing.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I can't believe I just noticed this thread, as I have been contemplating extending my tailpipe and/or redirecting it to quiet the cart down a bit more than it is - the general consensus from most of the people I have talked to runs right with Daves opinion, the tailpipe itself can be modified within reason (IE same size or possibly a tad larger if extended, etc) without causing flow issues, you just want to be sure not to restrict it, or if extending it you want to possibly go with a slightly larger diameter pipe

Again, not from experience but from asking others who have it
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also agree with Dave - though the stock muffler does appear to have a fairly narrow and restrictive tailpipe.

There is another thread where a member made a homemade glasspack-type end to quiet down their cart. If memory serves correct, it was steel wool put into a hollow metal cylinder that was drilled out to allow flow. Apparently this didn't cause any running issues for them.

BCM, try searching for the thread - may be a good solution for you.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I had my 3pg, the header pipe broke about 3 inches from the head, because of vibration (muffler mount broken) So I took it down to the local muffler shop and they bent a small 1-1/4" pipe for me. We mounted the muffler behind the engine with 2 automotive rubber and metal exhaust hangers. Attached the original muffler and it worked just fine. Still is, with the new owner.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Theres a lot of science in to stroke pipes and mufflers. All the performance gains are in the length of the head pipe from piston, size,shape and length of the ezpansion chamber cones. The tail pipe and mufflers don't seem to be that critical to performance. I feel the 2pg and 3pg mufflers are there for one purpose, to muffle with a little back pressure to make them work at lower rpms . The size of the pipe coming out of the muffler isn't going to make much differance. heck, they use to run mac racing engines with just a megaphone on them.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
shaggy
Getting Wild

what will be some of the side effects of restricting the exhaust...besides the lack of performance...blowing mix out carb, i guess. not running at all?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Run like doggy dodo or not at all
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO