lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
2001ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 ezgo series/reversed battery connection

first of all, this is self inflicted...i bought new batteries and in my excitment to install them, i reversed the polarity (without thinking, i had a 50/50 change of getting it right)..batteries are correctly installed now, problems with the charger too but that's another problem..borrowing a friends charger, it is now charged...with ignition on, in Forward and pedal depressed, i get nothing..no motion, no solenoid click..nothing..same in reverse..

i started down the diagnostics in the 'sticky' part of this forum...i have gone this far:

Testing of the EZGO ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL - SERIES & PDS (NON DCS)
ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE REMOVING CONTROLLER COVER. RE-CONNECT CABLE AFTER COVER IS REMOVED.
These test are to be conducted after making sure all wires and connections are clean and tight.
PLACE THE REAR OF THE CART SECURELY ON BLOCKS OR JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY
Connect (-) probe of meter on Battery Pack Negative (-) post. (This probe will on the post for the rest of the testing procedures) Connect (+) probe to the Battery Pack Positive (+) battery post. (This reading is the Battery Voltage and the amount of POWER TO THE CONTROLLER -
NOW, Key switch ON, gear selector in FORWARD, Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage. If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty. If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.

ITS - INDUCTIVE THROTTLE SENSOR

With the key switch ON - Forward direction selected - Push the Accelerator pedal just enough to activate the solenoid.
Install a "jumper wire" between the batteries BL+ post and the solenoid post with red wires attached.
AT THE SIX PIN CONNECTOR OF THE CONTROLLER
Place the (+) probe on the red wire terminal of the connector.
If battery voltage is not present, the red wire between the solenoid and the six pin connector is faulty.
Place the (+) probe on the black wire terminal of the connector.
The reading should be slightly above 14 volts but than 15 volts. If the voltage is not correct, the Throttle Sensor MAY be faulty.

so far the tests are all in range...my question: when i installed the 'jumper wire' between the batteriers BL+ post and the solenoid post with the red wire attached, the solenoid finally 'clicked' and the cart actually operated...does this give anyone a clue as to my problem, or will my problem present itself further down in the diagnostics

separately i did check for voltage on either side of the key switch and there was none, but maybe that's correct..

thanks in advance for any and all help...signed, a foolish/embarrased ezgo owner
2001ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo series/reversed battery connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ezgo View Post
............... i installed the 'jumper wire' between the batteriers BL+ post and the solenoid post with the red wire attached, the solenoid finally 'clicked' and the cart actually operated...does this give anyone a clue as to my problem, or will my problem present itself further down in the diagnostics

separately i did check for voltage on either side of the key switch and there was none, but maybe that's correct..

thanks in advance for any and all help...signed, a foolish/embarrased ezgo owner
Welcome to BGW!!!!

If you just reverse wired the pack to the cart and didn't reverse wire any of the batteries within the pack, you probably only took out the reed switch or maybe a microswitch or two.

Here's a schematic of a series cart with the KSI (Key Switch and Interlocks) highlighted in red.

Solenoid activation circuit (KSI) starts at Positive terminal in charger receptacle, goes through Reed Switch (labeled Ignition Interlock on the schematic), then to microswitch (MS-2) on F/R assembly, then to Key Switch, then to microswitch (MS-3) in Pedal Box and finally to the coil terminal on the solenoid.

Since the solenoid clicks and the cart moves when you jumper B+ to that terminal, your problem is a bad switch, wire or connection someplace highlighted in red on the schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
2001ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Many, many thanks! ... it was the switch at the charger plug..feeling slightly less stupid, and, since this is anonymous, less embarrassed ...

could you give me a part # and where i can buy the switch...

thanks again...
2001ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The switch is $45, most people bypass it by connection the red wire to the main+... this bypasses the safety interlock and caution must be used when charging... cautionary action such as running the charge cord thru the steering wheel is usually enough to keep anybody from inadvertently driving away with the charger plugged in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since I lost two in two tears, I decided to tear one open to see what failed. I carefully cut away the plastic sleeve and potting, and the glass had broken on the reed switch. The broken glass pieces prevented the switch from making. I guess they could also fail closed. I may cut open my other one, once I find it.

If I decide I want a safety device, I'll just install a microswitch. Just think how many times a ride you depress and release the ITS micro, compared to the number of times you plug/unplug the charger. Micros are pretty reliable.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ezgo View Post
.........could you give me a part # and where i can buy the switch.....
Like scottyb said, most people just bypass the Reed Switch. Later models came from the factory with it bypassed because it was such a high failure item.

For part numbers, maintenance and operational information, download the three *.pdf files in this post from the stickies. (They are the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals.)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

You've got new batteries, so they needed to be broken in properly to reach their maximum storage capacity. They only have about 75% when new.
Here is how to break them in (and while you're there, read everything with the word "Battery" in the title)
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

In your first post, you mentioned your battery charger was misbehaving.
What kind is it? (Manufacturer & Model)
What is it doing, or not doing?
Chances are, we can figure out what is wrong with it too.

BTW, there is no reason to feel embarrassed, we all had to learn this stuff at some time or another and we've all made mistakes.
I've made more than my fair share of them, but refer to them as experience.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO