lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Angry EZGO PDS Motor Removal Help

I'm trying to remove the motor on my 2007 EZGO PDS and can't get it off. After removing all wires, I removed the snap ring, pulled out the speed sensor unit, removed the snap ring behind the speed sensor. Then I removed the three bolts that hold the motor to the axle housing but it just wont slide off. It will spin around but it won't budge at all when I try to slide it off. According to my manual I've got everything off that should be holding it? I tried to tap on it with a block of wood and hammer but it still won't give. Any tips or tricks that I'm unaware of? I'm getting pretty frustrated with it so I figured I'd come to the experts before I break something. LOL
bherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS Motor Removal Help

Get some PB blaster, spray it down towards the middle, let it set. If you have a rubber mallet you can use it to tap on it to help out. (By the middle I mean where the motor mounts up to the rear end.)
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Angry Re: EZGO PDS Motor Removal Help

OK,
I think I may have screwed up. The motor will not budge but the motor housing came off. I couldn't figure out why when I noticed that I forgot to put the cart on Tow/Maintenance. Would this keep the motor shaft from coming out of the axle housing? I can grab the shaft on the end since the housing came off but I just can't get it to come out.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Now that you have the Armature exposed, you've probably figured out that the internal splines on Armature shaft are stuck to the external splines on the differential input shaft.

If you haven't gotten it off already, spray penetrating oil where the two shafts meet, let it work for a while and then wiggle the Armature off.
Tapping lightly where the shafts overlap may help, but be careful not to dent/deform Armature shaft.
Also be careful not to nick the insulation on any of the windings or scratch the commutator or imbalance the Armature.

The position of the Run/Tow switch didn't make the motor difficult to remove.
Unfortunately, removing wires while it was in the Run position, might have damaged the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. That was exactly the problem. All of the splines were rusted together but I finally got it off. Gonna get it rebuilt and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

When you go to put it back together put some never seize on it, just in cast you do this again.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
When you go to put it back together put some never seize on it, just in cast you do this again.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.I always try to fix things myself before I bring it somewhere so I'm sure I'll be experiencing it again at some point.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO