lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New 1998 Electric EZ-GO owner, Anyway to gain speed?

I just bought a 1998 Electric 36V EZ-GO golf cart that I believe is a series. It currently goes 14mph, tires are brand new, and the batteries are less than 6 months old. Is there anyway to gain speed on these without putting in a gas engine? Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you could also provide a ballpark estimate of how much each suggestion costs, that would be great.

Thank in advance
mechanix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New 1998 Electric EZ-GO owner, Anyway to gain speed?

48v conversion- roughly $1000 for you since all you need to do is add 2 more cells to your new pack. This would include a 500a Alltrax, HD solenoid, HD FNR from ScottyB, and the two aforementioned additional cells + add'l cables. After that, you get in to custom motors, taller tires, and of course upgraded brakes to slow it all down. The stock drums are woefully inadequate and that inadequacy grows exponentially as top speed increases. After the conversion, prepare to start spending real money.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't forget the new charger! $400 or so?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, I only paid $900 for the thing to begin with. Are there any simple inexpensive ways to gain speed? I'm not sure how much mph I would gain with the above mods, unless it's like 40 mph, it's just not worth it to me. I'd be happy if I could get it close to 20 mph. Any minor mods that will accomplish this?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48v will get you in thst range that on stock tires. There is no way to do what you want for $1.99. Sorry.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix19 View Post
Wow, I only paid $900 for the thing to begin with. Are there any simple inexpensive ways to gain speed? I'm not sure how much mph I would gain with the above mods, unless it's like 40 mph, it's just not worth it to me. I'd be happy if I could get it close to 20 mph. Any minor mods that will accomplish this?
In my mind, 40 is crazy unless you rebuild your steering, which is probably worn out and needs doing, add disc brakes, etc. I've hit 32 downhill and it's starting to feel a little squirrely.

Volts = speed and amps = torque on a series motor. Theoretically, if you go from 36 volts to 48 volts, that's a 33% increase in speed (ignoring losses). If you live in a relatively flat area, you just need more volts. If you're in a hilly area, more amps will help you to climb hills without slowing down nearly as much as now.

I recently upgraded my 1998 TXT series, and bought eight new T-105s, Alltrax 4855, HD solenoid, HD FNR cam, new cables, 48 volt charger, and kept my original motor. I'm not sure what speed I'm gettin' as there are no long stretches of level roads near me, but I easily go 14 climbing a pretty steep hill, and free wheel downhill at 32. I know there's no buggy around that can beat me, and we have LOTS of buggies in our four subdivisions.

My biggest complaint with it before was how slow it would get climbing hills. It was plenty torquey, but slow. Not so with the upgraded controller.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

mechanix19,

In your case probably the least expensive bang for the buck would be a motor upgrade. I know the gents at Plum Quick could probably help you out with some suggestions. Because you are not changing anything else don't expect blistering speed and torque but it would help with a few more mph and some more bottom end.

Good luck
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the suggestion, it looks like I'll just be keeping it stock.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO