lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Coil Over Shocks for TXT - Answers that no other thread provides.

First I'll so this for search purposes... coil over, coilover, coil-over.....

When I built my TXT (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...0-00-ride.html) I replaced everything except the front springs and the shocks. The rear leaf springs were shot, so I ordered a heavy duty three leaf pack and did what I normally do, remove the two extra leafs and run with a single heavy duty leaf spring which makes for a nice ride.

My daughter has drove it nearly every day for a year now as it's her daily commuter. I noticed that the shocks had started to go lately as the front tires were coming up and rubbing on the body wearing away at it.

I contemplated which route I wanted to go, replace the front springs, replace all the shocks since they were shot, etc, so I finally decided to kill two birds with one stone and replace the shocks with the heavy duty shocks that have coil over springs. Jason's Golf Carts had the best prices so I order 4, shipped for just over $185

The front shocks install was pretty straight forward, but I did what many others have said to do, and pulled the EZGO emblem off and separated the cowl from the dust shield where it attached right behind the emblem.

Now one thing you need to know that I did to make both front and rear install easier.... Obviously access to the top of the shocks on either end is very difficult at best. The new shocks come with Nylon lock nuts... and as you know nylon lock nuts can be hard to put on, well because of the nylon...
I didn't have any nuts around that were of the same size and thread that weren't nylon locking, so I took my torch and melted out the nylon locking ring so that the nuts would thread on easier..

The rear shocks took longer to put on due to access of the top mounts. I have heard other people say it was hard to get the shocks installed as they are hard to compress.. but all you have to do is while the cart is on jack stands, with the tires off, is remove the rear leaf spring bolt from the shackle allowing the spring to pivot down just a bit more. So you can wedge the spring in. Go ahead and remove the rear bolt, but don't install the bottom of the shock yet, as it is easier if you start at the top.

The top is very hard to get to, I had to remove the rear seat cushion, motor cover, and both bolts that hold the seat backs, and rear seat assembly where the shock mounts are. The bushings that come with the new shocks are much larger in diameter than the old ones and they WILL NOT work on the top most busing spot for the rear shocks. You will have to use a decent bushing from the old shocks as they are smaller. The other problem is the super tight fit getting the bushings and nuts back in the mounting spot.

This is where it is easier to leave the bottom of the shock not mounted, so you can move the shock around to get better access at the top. I was able to get the bushing and metal bushing plate in and on the stud with my fingers but could not get the nut on, so I used a flash light and a LONG pair of needle nose pliers to carefully set the nut on top of the stud. Then I was able to thread the nut down on the stud and use a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten them down. So the top rear has an old but decent bushing on the very top, and a new busing on the bottom of the top stud.

Now that the top is tight, you can push down on the rear of the spring to pivot it down and seat the rear shock. Tighten the bolts and then do the same on the other side and put everything back together.

Ride Height Change - The coil overs raised both the front and rear by an inch. Over all the cart sits much better. The ride is definitely stiffer, but not as harsh as a cart with a heavy duty leave spring that has not been modified and I am pleased with it.

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (434.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (438.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (258.1 KB, 0 views)
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

Default Re: Coil Over Shocks for TXT - Answers that no other thread provides.

Glad to hear that the shocks worked out for you.
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
First I'll so this for search purposes... coil over, coilover, coil-over.....

When I built my TXT (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...0-00-ride.html) I replaced everything except the front springs and the shocks. The rear leaf springs were shot, so I ordered a heavy duty three leaf pack and did what I normally do, remove the two extra leafs and run with a single heavy duty leaf spring which makes for a nice ride.

My daughter has drove it nearly every day for a year now as it's her daily commuter. I noticed that the shocks had started to go lately as the front tires were coming up and rubbing on the body wearing away at it.

I contemplated which route I wanted to go, replace the front springs, replace all the shocks since they were shot, etc, so I finally decided to kill two birds with one stone and replace the shocks with the heavy duty shocks that have coil over springs. Jason's Golf Carts had the best prices so I order 4, shipped for just over $185

The front shocks install was pretty straight forward, but I did what many others have said to do, and pulled the EZGO emblem off and separated the cowl from the dust shield where it attached right behind the emblem.

Now one thing you need to know that I did to make both front and rear install easier.... Obviously access to the top of the shocks on either end is very difficult at best. The new shocks come with Nylon lock nuts... and as you know nylon lock nuts can be hard to put on, well because of the nylon...
I didn't have any nuts around that were of the same size and thread that weren't nylon locking, so I took my torch and melted out the nylon locking ring so that the nuts would thread on easier..

The rear shocks took longer to put on due to access of the top mounts. I have heard other people say it was hard to get the shocks installed as they are hard to compress.. but all you have to do is while the cart is on jack stands, with the tires off, is remove the rear leaf spring bolt from the shackle allowing the spring to pivot down just a bit more. So you can wedge the spring in. Go ahead and remove the rear bolt, but don't install the bottom of the shock yet, as it is easier if you start at the top.

The top is very hard to get to, I had to remove the rear seat cushion, motor cover, and both bolts that hold the seat backs, and rear seat assembly where the shock mounts are. The bushings that come with the new shocks are much larger in diameter than the old ones and they WILL NOT work on the top most busing spot for the rear shocks. You will have to use a decent bushing from the old shocks as they are smaller. The other problem is the super tight fit getting the bushings and nuts back in the mounting spot.

This is where it is easier to leave the bottom of the shock not mounted, so you can move the shock around to get better access at the top. I was able to get the bushing and metal bushing plate in and on the stud with my fingers but could not get the nut on, so I used a flash light and a LONG pair of needle nose pliers to carefully set the nut on top of the stud. Then I was able to thread the nut down on the stud and use a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten them down. So the top rear has an old but decent bushing on the very top, and a new busing on the bottom of the top stud.

Now that the top is tight, you can push down on the rear of the spring to pivot it down and seat the rear shock. Tighten the bolts and then do the same on the other side and put everything back together.

Ride Height Change - The coil overs raised both the front and rear by an inch. Over all the cart sits much better. The ride is definitely stiffer, but not as harsh as a cart with a heavy duty leave spring that has not been modified and I am pleased with it.

I hope this helps someone.

Great post. I am stuck though. The front coil over for my 2002 txt seems too long. How did you fit them? Compress the spring? Did it make the cart sit higher? How is the ride? Thank you.
Barbersboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Loki0876
Not Yet Wild

I put all four coil overs on as well when i did my 6" lift. front was easy with no real issues. The rear on the other hand was a REAL pain. Not so much the top bolts because i removed everything to install a back seat so the bolts were right there on my 97 TXT. I did however had to compress the coil spring to fit, pretty much attached the spring to the axle and then reattached the leaf springs. two person job makes it easier.

Question tho.... how does your cart ride with the coil springs in the rear??? Mine is so stiff i have to remove them and return them. Its like i have a 2 by 4's back their as a shocks.
Loki0876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

One more question is: What type of terrain does the cart normally ride on? It's it:

--Paved?
--Dirt\gravel but "smooth"?
--Off road with hills 'n rough terrain?
--Just around your living room?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
golfdwc1019
Not Yet Wild

As for the rear spring mod -- anyone else have experience removing 2 leafs from the rear 3-leaf HD springs? Dangerous, shorter life? I want to try it, but not enough to take everything apart if they won't last long. I ride my cart on residential roads and sometimes on the golf course, and the 3-leaf HD springs I have in the back are too stiff for ruts in the course and seams in the concrete..
golfdwc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I took out 2 leafs of my previous 4 leaf leaf springs. Made the ride much better. My kidneys send me Christmas cards now!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

As for removing leaks from rear springs. Personally would just get duel action springs if needing that occasion capacity from occasional back seat use or just use stock replacements. Leafs in springs are not equal. Each leaf has a different compression rate and load carrying capacity.

I do like the idea of useing coil over shocks, especially adjustable ones where ride height can be changed. Coiled shocks almost always provide better ride due to designed spring rates.
Your no longer trying to control a leaf spring by dampening bounce with a shock
but rather dampening individual springs with a shock. Should help with body sway along with where weight is placed in cart.( just a driver in cart opposed to driver plus passenger) each coil over will dampen accordingly

Easy to change springs and ride height is a big plus factor. Spring length and coil bind ( springs fully compressing )can be a concern.

How is the ride once upgraded to coil overs ?
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #9
golfdwc1019
Not Yet Wild

Just a quick update on removing springs (I found very little on the web about this, with the exception of the original post in this very thread!):

My three-leaf HD pack was just too stiff. A few months ago I decided to get underneath and remove the springs to disassemble them. I decided to leave the short helper leaf, and just remove the middle leaf. I expect that the middle leaf is essential to longevity of the spring since it supports the top leaf almost all the way out to the shackles, but I can say that after 4 months of driving on the golf course, the spring profile had not changed at all. The ride was MUCH softer, but I couldn't put 2 adults in the back without a little clearance issue with my rear bumper. I decided to lift the cart, and I bought a kit that came with 4-leaf rear springs and longer shackles last week. (see 2" mid-rise thread on this site).

I think the 4-leaf pack is just as soft as the 3-leaf pack with the middle leaf removed! The thicker leaves in the 3-leaf pack are just too stiff - they must have been designed to support a target weight in the rear - a weight that is significantly higher than a rear seat kit and a couple of golf bags.

Coil-over springs with a HD leaf spring pack would definitely be too stiff, but I have to think that using just 1 leaf from the 3-leaf HD pack, since the coil over spring will help control the range of movement and protect the leaf, actually sounds like a great idea.

For the fronts, I think the original leaf springs were already way too stiff -- perhaps they were just fatigued and lost some of their compliance? The 2" kit I installed last week came with longer front springs. They are MUCH better than the originals. I wouldn't want the added stiffness from coil overs up front on top of the leafs - there is already almost no weight up there.
golfdwc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:49 PM   #10
EZGORatRod
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just installed HD leaf springs on my 86 Marathon. The new ones are 5 leaf so I removed one. Original had three and were waaaay soft. Ride height is a full 2” higher. Had to fab some shock extensions as well as thrones that came on it were bent.

Rides great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C610B2A5-464E-40FE-A774-B8C7A6F02BD2.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20C64CE6-69FE-4BBC-9659-3C11247DBED5.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
EZGORatRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO