lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Mack
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car FZ340 Spark Issue

I am having trouble getting consistent spark on an older model Club Car with the FZ340 engine. The only time that it sparks is when the gas pedal is released back to resting position. I removed the micro switches that the throttle pedal controls. I am able to control the spark manually by flicking off and on the micro switch that has 2 black/white wires and and ground running to it. So I am getting plenty of spark I just am not getting it like I should. Its like I can make it spark but at the same time I am killing the motor. It's very puzzling and I hope I explained it well enough. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks, Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car FZ340 Spark Issue

Just a shot in the dark but it sounds like the switch for the engine cut off got reversed.
Maybe its just the wires are on the wrong terminal or got confused with the start switch.
Not sure on the old CC but my 01 has two micro switches on the accelerator cable cam.
One engages the starter when pedal is pressed and switch released, the other grounds the ignition out when the pedal is released and switch depressed.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Mack
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Buickguy, I've looked over every inch of the wiring multiple times and everything is perfect. I agree that something is hooked up backwards I just can't figure it out. I've even tried switching things around and I get the same result.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

try the toggle switch thats on the frame under the seat to the right of the battery just oposite of the coil on the engine its a service mode switch
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
try the toggle switch thats on the frame under the seat to the right of the battery just oposite of the coil on the engine its a service mode switch
Isn't the FZ340 another name for the KF82? I have an older cart with the same motor and I've done just about everything to this cart and am about 95% sure I don't have the described toggle switch. I'll have to check when I get home.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Mack
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, there is no service mode switch on this cart. Any more thoughts on the issue???
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
iKAB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well it has to be somewhere after the pedal kill switch because that's the point of that switch. I say get a test light and a multimeter and a buddy, have them press the pedal and start actually testing what wires are hot and not. That's what I'd do to start.
iKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Mack
Not Yet Wild

Something else to think about.... If I remove the white wire from the micro switch, this runs from the key switch to the neutral lock-out micro switch, and I place the wire where it will jump spark just right, the cart runs perfect on its own. But if the white wire is in full contact with the frame or not touching at all, I get no spark whatsoever. Could it be a faulty key switch or micro? Any more help?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

What year is your cart? Serial number is at the top of the passenger side floorboard. It should start with something like AGxxxxxx. Mine is a 1987 model so my serial starts out with AG87xxx. The first two numbers after the first two letters tell you the year.

Here's an '87-'91 wiring diagram:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Mack
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the wiring diagram Springbok. Thats the one I've been using. All I know is that my cart has the FZ340 engine as someone removed the plate above the passenger floorboard so there is no way to tell the exact year. I've traced every wire following that diagram and its perfect.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car