lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
deaconman
Not Yet Wild

Default where to get a robins 295 bored out or do I need to

I have a 1991 robins fuji eh29 that has lost compression. Where can i send it to get it rebored out to a larger size and install larger pistons and rings. Any idea of the cost. No one in the piedmont NC area wants to work with me on this. As far as I could tell the bore did not seem to be worn. Thought I would bore it out anyway. It did have a 1 broken connecting rod. It smoked like crazy before it finally quit even after several attempt of adjusting valves. or would I be better off just buying one of the refurbished models off of EBAY. A friend of mine said twice he just cleaned it up and hone put standard piston and rings in it and problem solved. Claimed the enginies were almost bulletproof.Just any experienced advice I can find. Any replys would be greatly appreciated.
deaconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: where to get a robins 295 bored out or do I need to

I had the same issue, broken connecting rod with a hole in the side of the block. I had a small piece of aluminum welded to cover up the hole. really a good idea to clean out the crankcase to ensure the oil system would be clean. I did a complete overhaul, the crank had a little surface rust as well as nicks in the bearing surface so I had it ground within the specs. I honed the cylinders just for the rings to seat up well etc.....I talked with a very well known engine builder he said to run heavy oil, like diesel oil....I run 15-40 in mine! any more questions feel free to ask valve adjustment can be up to you .05 on all valves or .04 intake and .06 on exhaust
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Talking Re: where to get a robins 295 bored out or do I need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyveins View Post
I had the same issue, broken connecting rod with a hole in the side of the block. I had a small piece of aluminum welded to cover up the hole. really a good idea to clean out the crankcase to ensure the oil system would be clean. I did a complete overhaul, the crank had a little surface rust as well as nicks in the bearing surface so I had it ground within the specs. I honed the cylinders just for the rings to seat up well etc.....I talked with a very well known engine builder he said to run heavy oil, like diesel oil....I run 15-40 in mine! any more questions feel free to ask valve adjustment can be up to you .05 on all valves or .04 intake and .06 on exhaust
I guess what I said about valves tolerance was taken the wrong way, an overall .05 all the way across would be safe, as far as exhaust going a little more for expansion from the heat so adjustment being .06 will actually after engine is hot be .05-.04. I was not referring to any manual. just was info from a engine builder
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I had a similar problem ..I just replaced 1 piston rings and connecting rod..reassembled and runs great. These engines are air cooled so the tolerances are pretty loose!
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
deaconman
Not Yet Wild

so you think i could just get a new standard piston and rings and hone it out and be good to go riding. Luckily I did not blast a hole in the block. My crankshaft actually looks great and mics good. I really appreciate all the reply's from everyone. I just did not know of I should go ahead and bore and then hone it for the next larger size piston. You guys are great, Thank you so very much.. Deaconman
deaconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Most of your info from everyone is there opinions and I want you take this information with that in mind. No reason to bore and buy new piston.....scuff the cylinder wall with honing put new rings on piston install and ride! lol the 295-350 motors will always just be that...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO