lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Stock Carryall gear ratio?

I ordered a set of 8:1 high speed gears today. I checked my existing ratio and I get 6 turns on the driven shaft to 1 turn on the axle. This is 6:1 right? If I put 8:1, my top speed will go down. Am I understanding the ratio correctly?
kimmer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock Carryall gear ratio?

Depends on how you calculated your ratio. Most of what I've seen the rears have open differential so you would multiply by two. that would give you a ratio of 12:1 ish. The only true way is to open the transaxle and count teeth. From what I've gathered most stock gears are 12:1 ish so if you go 8:1 you will gain speed. Hope this helps and any corrections are appreciated.
docksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

i was wondering about how the open diff would affect it. i fixed one axle with a c-clamp. equally interesting...it was 6:1 in forward and reverse. i always thought reverse was higher. i guess ill fing out for sure when i open the case.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A yamaha G9 is 13:1 and change, but the CVT overdrives .9 so the overall ratio is 11:1 approximately for engine to axle. Other stock gas carts are similar.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

I spun both wheel flanges forward at the same time and the driven shaft rotated approximately 12 times. I think you were right docksman!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you'll be happy with the 8:1 I had installed an auburn limited slip control and shimmed the springs a little bit more, I get the actual turns/axle but before I had to multiply by 2.
Good luck
docksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by docksman View Post
you'll be happy with the 8:1 I had installed an auburn limited slip control and shimmed the springs a little bit more, I get the actual turns/axle but before I had to multiply by 2.
Good luck
is the limeted slip worth the money? im gonna skip that upgrade i think.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
95Viper
Gone Wild

Guys, Tell me if I did this right. I jacked up the driver rear until the tire was off the ground. Chalk marked the tire and Driven clutch. Spun tire one turn forward and the Driven turned 9 times. Same in reverse. Did the same to passenger tire. Then pushed the entire cart forward and reverse so both wheels turned and got 9 every time.

What do I have?
95Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Viper View Post
Guys, Tell me if I did this right. I jacked up the driver rear until the tire was off the ground. Chalk marked the tire and Driven clutch. Spun tire one turn forward and the Driven turned 9 times. Same in reverse. Did the same to passenger tire. Then pushed the entire cart forward and reverse so both wheels turned and got 9 every time.

What do I have?
It seems off to me that you got the same # of turns on the clutch with one wheel turning vs. 2 wheels. When I did the same test...similar anyway, I got 6 turns on the clutch shaft but when I turned both wheels...12 turns.

I would say though that if you pushed the cart with both wheels turning and the clutch spun 9 times that you have 9 to 1 gear ratio. That seems possible anyway depending on what type of cart you have.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Here is a pic of the new 8:1 gears next to the factory 12:1.

Do yourself a favor and order the axle gasket along with the case gasket when you do this...it makes it much easier to handle the dis-assembly ans reassembly. Also, you will need a press and a bearing separator to get the bearings off the old gear set. Be careful when you do this because it's relatively easy to mess up the bearings if you push them from the cage. You may choose to order new ones but that's another $100 roughly.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!