lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Curtis629
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car questions about upgrades

Hey guys, just got my first cart yesterday and I'm ready to make the most of the it. It was a stock cart from a golf course except the previous 2nd owner put in a set of headlights and taillights. I liked that already being done so I thought it was a good start.

The cart is an 03 Series, 48Volt, Trojan Batts, not new, but they hold a good charge, no corrosion build up, consistent readings between all of them and charge through the cycle like they are suppose to. I used my GPS yesterday and clocked a blistering 11 mph on the straight away, about 18 mph going down the street and a blistering 6-7 going up the same street. I think that's pretty normal, maybe a little on the slow side but not to bad for a stock cart. Time to plan the improvements so I used the search function first but didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

Plan of upgrades in order and questions for you experts:
1) Cables: going to get some 4 gauge, is it really worth the effort to change all of them or just the batt to batt and the hot and ground? You'll see my future planning so help me make the right decision.

2) Motor: I'm looking for 18-20 mph for the cart, not planning on raising it and will stay with stock 8 wheels, but might go up to a 10" if I can do so without raising it. What motor? A purple one, Admiral, GE, it's all a bit confusing. I'd like to get a motor that I can use my stock controller on for starters.

3) Controller: After the motor upgrade, I'd like to be able to squeeze a little more performance out of it with a differenct controller. Which one will do the best job for me. Or, considering what I want to do, is a stock controller going to get me where I want to go. What exactly is the benefit of going to a bigger 400A controller? Would it help a stock motor? Should I upgrade the controller instead of the motor first?

4) Wheels: Should I go to the 10" wheels, even if it's just the steel ones to use the bigger tires? Will that give me a little more top speed or just lighten my wallet?

All help is appreciated, I know some people offer kits, but I'd like to get it in stages if I can come up with a plan of attack. Thanks in advance guys. I'll start posting some pics of the new old stocker shortly, then I'll post some upgrade results as I do them. I've been into cars and bikes for awhile. I'm looking forward to learning about carts now.
Curtis629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car questions about upgrades

Is this an IQ or DS series Cart .,
It Makes a big difference when upgrading ?

To the Forum !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Curtis629
Not Yet Wild

Sorry it's a DS Series.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
butterface
Getting Wild

Club Car

my personal experience is an upgrade in wires to #4 and i installed a 480 amp controller and it made a huge difference in the performance of my cart with the stock motor. if you upgrade the wire and controller i would also recommend upgrading the solenoid to a heavy duty. the controller in my cart made a big jump in torque on hills and added to my top speed (approx 4 mph). if you can access the motor post what the specs on on it and we might be able to guess at what you could expect with the above changes.

also, when upgrading the cable you will want to upgrade all of the cables (batteries and motor).

i have a 2000 DS with #4 cables, 480 amp controller, hd solenoid and a stock motor (GE D377) and can maintain 23 mph on level ground and will get up to 26+ on the slightest down slope.
butterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Curtis629
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information, I'll look at he motor tonight and post what I find. Which 480 controller did you go with. There seem to be so many choices. I'm would rather just use what another forum member has used and is pleased with. Your results sound very good. Are those with the stock 8" wheels too?
thanks again
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
butterface
Getting Wild

Club Car

the controller i have is from BU and yes i am running the stock tires.

Check with the site sponsors and see who may have electronic speed controllers (they will treat you right and not steer you wrong).
butterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

curtis629, there used to be one of the site sponsers which sold a Club Cart DS
4 gauage cable upgrade kit for $120. This was for upgrading all #6 cables not just
battery. Check around it's the least expensive 1st step.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Curtis629
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=butterface;149096]if you can access the motor post what the specs on on it and we might be able to guess at what you could expect with the above changes. QUOTE]

I checked out the motor and this info was on the stamp:
Part: 102237701
Mod: 5BC59JB56360
Voltage: 48
Horsepower: 3.10 Special Service

I assume this is a standard motor, what would be a good upgrade or any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you want give me a call or shoot me a pm, I can get you all the stuff you need for your new upgrade. We sell D&D motors with Alltrax controllers. I also can get you any electrical components, lift kit etc....

Office 989-697-3080
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car