lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
Dave-CPA
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for advice on buying a used EZGO

We have a local dealer that will customize used carts for around $4,000-$4,500. He only sells EZGO. Weve been told by others to avoid this brand because of electrical problems and to look for Club Car instead. These seem to be much more difficult to find.

What do I need to know as far as models and such? He mentioned multiple three-letter models we'd be able to choose from. We will be looking at electric carts, as we'll just be riding around our neighborhood.

Thanks in advance!
Dave-CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for advice on buying a used EZGO

While this is very basic, there are currently two models of EZGO being produced. RXV and TXT.

The RXV is essentially a "rolling computer". It uses an AC drive system and the motor controller is extremely sophisticated. It has no mechanical wheel brakes and braking is done thru brake-by-wire. The motor is used as a generator to slow the vehicle. There is also an electro mechanical "motor brake" that is an automatic parking brake and also serves as an emergency brake should the motor regen fail. The earlier models from 2008-2012 were somewhat problematic until a new OEM motor controller was produced.

I think many of the "electrical problems" that you have heard about likely either self inflicted by unwitting RXV hackers, or old info about the pre-2012 RXVs.

The TXT is a more conventional DC drive system and the cart has conventional wheel brakes. It is easier to upgrade to aftermarket higher performance motors and controllers.

The stock RXV is said to be more capable of maintaining uphill speeds and is simpler mechanically to work on.

The TXT is easier for the DIY cart enthusiast to tweak and tune and friendlier to add 12V accessories to. They are both good carts IMHO.

The RXV has a somewhat notorious reputation regarding the electrical system because the controller and factory wiring are easily damaged by folks who are not familiar with how the computerized controller works and it is relatively easy to fry a very expensive motor controller. (some of the wires in the harness are actually 5V lines that carry signals as opposed to conventional wiring systems)

I'm sure others will tune in here with their opinions.

I purchased a 2010 RXV about 6 months ago and really like it, but I am also a little nervous about the old electronics given its age but there are aftermarket controller upgrades available today. I have no experience with the TXT.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
Dave-CPA
Not Yet Wild

I dont have any real interest in modifications other than some wheels. Sounds like maybe RXV is my best bet for highest performance, then?
Dave-CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

From doing some research it seems the TXT is more of a work horse cart compared to the RXV which is going to be more of a speed machine (with a reprogram of the controller).

I have a TXT and it seems really easy to tinker with, but I wanted a cart that I could upgrade easily. As of right now it just has upgraded controller/solenoid, stereo, wheel/tires. I plan on doing more this winter when I don't use it as much.

If you are looking at the RXV option I believe you can have the controller reprogrammed by Bob Boyce on this site. Don't quote me on this, but I believe all the programming is free of charge to members on this site you just have to pay for shipping both ways.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO