lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
oredith
Not Yet Wild

Default new member, help welcomed :)

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am located in southern California. towed home a very old (but free) 1977 Ez-Go marathon (best I can tell from the stamp).

The previous owner tried to get it working, but the broken motor terminal posts were more than he wanted to take on, so gave it away for someone that's willing to put in more time.

I've taken the motor off the cart, checked out the bearings and confirmed that it's spinning freely without binding, and rigged up what I think are passable terminal posts, but i'm at a loss as to which posts are what, and what wires connect to where.. :(

from what I have gathered thus far, it's an early marathon? possibly an X-444? definitely resistor speed control.

I'd like to try to figure out the wiring first, before I go buy 6 new batteries :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200526_104445.jpg (107.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200526_162928.jpg (104.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200529_165935.jpg (198.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200530_194209.jpg (127.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200530_194236.jpg (192.9 KB, 0 views)
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
oredith
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: new member, help welcomed :)

the plan, if i can get it working, is to turn the cart into something of an mad max cart. :)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Look closely at the motor near the studs. Should be marked S1, S2, A1, A2. If you can't find it some of the EZ GO guys in here should know.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
oredith
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Look closely at the motor near the studs. Should be marked S1, S2, A1, A2. If you can't find it some of the EZ GO guys in here should know.
I think I'm going to need help on that. I looked pretty closely when I was cleaning the case, and didn't see any sort of stamped marking. If they're there originally, I'm afraid there's not there anymore 😖
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Jeff, Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here are some manuals that might help. Not the right year, but EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the auto makers did.

Yes, a X-444 is a Marathon 4 wheel cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
oredith
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Here are some manuals that might help. Not the right year, but EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the auto makers did.

Yes, a X-444 is a Marathon 4 wheel cart.
This is perfect! thank you very much!

question, is there a way to benchtest the electric motor without hooking it up to all 6 6v batteries?

the shell did not come with batteries, and it's a bit of an investment to get 6 new batteries without knowing if i've worked out the other kinks yet.

it'd be great to be able to hook up a 12v, or even a charger to the terminals and test it first.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor can not be operated off the cart as there will be no support for one end of the armature. Jack the rear wheels off the floor and use a 12v battery to see movement in the test attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor test- Series.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post

question, is there a way to benchtest the electric motor without hooking it up to all 6 6v batteries?
you can follow scotty bs diagram, i did it on my work bench, only a few quick shots of 12V so it didn't go crazy, just to confirm it worked.

and a new set of brushes and bolts are only like $60 and easy to change, i've snapped a few also
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
oredith
Not Yet Wild

So, i can't figure out which is A1, A2, S1, and S2 post on the motor (maybe someone can help me out).

how important is polarity here? i figured if it's reversed, it would just spin the opposite way? i tried a quick and dirty connection just in case it was "that easy", but it wasn't.

question 1:
can anyone help me identify the posts.

question 2:
is a normal car battery charger set on "start" mode sufficient to power and rotate the motor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (163.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO