lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
BAFireman84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Which cart should I pick for my build?

I will start by saying thank you for anyone that is willing to help. There is so much info and opinions out there I'm lost in the sea of info! I want to build (prefer this route as I think it would be fun to do) or buy (which ever is more cost effective) a lifted electric golf cart comparable to the bad boys, stealths, etc. for family fun and hunting, but that I can afford. I know these listed are 4x4 and the one I will build is 2x4. Here are a few questions I have.
1) Which brand, volt, year would be the best to start with and why?
2) Is there much of a difference between spindle and long travel lifts?
(I would like which ever is most stable as we have a baby and another on the way that will be riding around the property with us.)
3) I've see on here that people have changed motors, controllers, and add power kits is this something I'll need to do for a lifted cart or is it something that can be done later?

BAFireman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which cart should I pick for my build?

Here's what I've learned in my short time here at BGW:

1. Ezgo TXT series (not PDS), the newest one you can afford. They are normally 36V but you can upgrade to 48. Search "lifted ezgo pds" for reasons why series is the way to go for your application. (nutshell = PDS will get too hot while creaping around off road on big tires, the controllers can't handle the load)

(you could get a Club Car or Yami....but I'm an EZGO guy, it's the old Ford vs. Chevy, vs. Dodge thing.

2. Yes, huge difference and huge cost difference. Spindle gives you height only, long travel is an actual working independent suspension and costs 4x as much. (but worth the money if you can swing it)

3.You will not need to change out all of the drive train components right away....but you wil want to in the future...who wouldn't want more power and speed! A lifted TXT will run fine with 22 or 23" tires.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
BAFireman84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey scooter thx for the info. What is required to upgrade to 48 volt? Add two batteries or is there more involved?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

To upgrade to 48v you will need batteries(2 more or 6-8v) controller that will handle 48v, solenoid, and charger. Which ever choice you go with you will need a good set of at least 4awg cables.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No problem, welcome to BGW!! It's a pretty big modification, you'll need to change out the controller, solenoid, and charger. You could buy 8V batts. instead of 6V, or just add two to your 6V pack, in the bag well. Best thing you could do from the start is get yourself a nice set of 4 gauge cables to go all the way around, not just for the batteries...then you can go from there. I think there's a guy around here named Scotty that can help you with that
Old 09-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

**** Kidder, did we just share a brain for a few minutes?? Same post at the same time, pretty crazy!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
BAFireman84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Awesome guys thanks. I guess I need to look for a cart that is already 48v so I can put my money into the other stuff. Do the 48v carts come with 4g wires? This may also be a question I should already know but who is Scotty?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Scotty! Scotty is the MAN, you have a question, he has an answer. He also has like a Million posts on here lol.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You won't find too many 48V EZGOs out there, other than 2009 and newer (unless someone already did a conversion on an older 36V that's for sale) Many CC's are 48V. Hard to say with the cables, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff. A new 48V EZGO will have 4Ga cables.

Go to the site sponsor page. Scotty is "Carts Unlimited" and one of the resident golf cart whisperers around here!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

We usually buy old beat up club cars, the old resistor type. We pick them up cheap and strip all of the resistor components and go with 48v controller setup. Its about the same price in the end but everything is new and you know what's there. Don't be shy if the body is beat up alot of your local cart shops should have good used bodys for around $100.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric cart, electric club car, electric ezgo, electric yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts