lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Harbor Freight not selling 420cc clone?

I bought the HD one for 250 last spring it was like 264 to my door with free shipping but had to pay tax. After that they stopped listing them, then later they started listing them again for 299 like posted. I think all of them are lifan engines, all the same.

The reason you see different HP is because of that big lawsuit about it. The gx390 honda was a 13hp always the 420 is Chinese larger bore and stroke (stroker) but still a copy and they called it 16hp to start with and it said 15hp in the manual lol. Some places will not even say the HP of their engines now, even though the same engine they have sold for many years. It was because they lied about HP for some time in lawnmowers saying a 48" lawn tractor had 25hp when it did not, I've run old 12-16hp lawmowers with decks that size that worked fine. Anyway, they lost the deal and now we have to watch them flounder around trying to not say what HP an engine is when that is what everyone wants to know.

There are some other makers of clones, lifan is just the largest and what I know some of these to be (like the HD that says so and the carrolstream), but they could change makers I guess. Most of the larger ones are lifan (340/390/420cc) while the smaller 160/200cc are more likely to be made by others. Some do come with different airboxes and such. Most parts of any of them do interchange, though the 420 bore/stroke is larger than a 390.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Biggest reason I've never done the close swap is the fact the chinese engines have a rep for not exactly lasting. You can get an extended warranty for fairly cheap but you have to modify the wiring, cut the crank, drill and tap the crank just to get it to fit. I don't want to have to do that every time you have to change one. I went on my local classifieds and found a 12.5hp briggs single cylinder engine with less then 200 hours and picked it up for $50. I did some performance mods and it's putting out about 17.5 now. Good enough for a $50 engine that I don't have to worry in the back of my mind about reliability. I use my cart way to much to swap engines that frequently.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I dunno, but the gokart guys run the snot out of them and they seem to work as well as other engines but are way cheaper. Most all the parts interchange with honda, though they say at 30hp you should go to a honda block or they break.

I'm all for supporting US products, but remember the honda was so great because it was OHV and Briggs and the rest were still selling us 50 year old flatheads. The vanguard is over 25 year old design, what a worthless company, just lucky the Asians designed them a good engine back then and it has a strong performance following.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #24
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc799 View Post
Nice help and info Airjunky. The CPP carrier says it fits a 94 up ezgo. He has a Yamaha (and sadly mine is older than that).
Sorry, what passing that on to Goochy, who has an EZGo.

Although, CPP does engine upgrades in Yamahas too. And he does it without building a new engine carrier like required in the EZGo. Might be worth a phone call to see if he has the adapters available to make it easy on you too.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
Goochy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks Air Junky , I am STILL lost !!! $1700 for turn key EZ Go 350 cc from dealer , or put a clone engine in ? I am ok with power and speed I have, but I do NOT what to rebuild the 295 Robin . . But I am CHEAP !!! I want the cheapest way out . Looks like I could do a bolt in clone for $700-$800 .
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goochy View Post
thanks Air Junky , I am STILL lost !!! $1700 for turn key EZ Go 350 cc from dealer , or put a clone engine in ? I am ok with power and speed I have, but I do NOT what to rebuild the 295 Robin . . But I am CHEAP !!! I want the cheapest way out . Looks like I could do a bolt in clone for $700-$800 .
I hear ya, Gooch. Doing an engine transplant yourself is a great way to learn a lot about your cart. If you have some reasonable skills in the garage, and have the time to dedicate to the project, then it's very possible, and quite a bit of fun!
I like the idea of using the CPP carrier to install a Honda clone, or maybe a used v-twin? Keep your eyes open around you for a Briggs 16 hp twin. I see them for around $400 or $500 all the time. Or the Honda clones available from Maxtool or Home Depot are a good option too.
I know you've said that your not looking for speed, but to build a good family cart. Both these engines will result in a cart that does 22 - 25 mph, and does it with 4 people on board, or hauling a trailer, firewood, all your beach/boating gear, etc. They convert the cart to somewhat more of a UTV, which is a step in a good direction if you ask me.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

I stopped in at Harbor Freight here in Grand Rapids this morning and they had a 420cc predator on the shelf so they must still be selling them in stores, maybe just not on line.

Sure wish I had that coupon that rj has for $299, I'd be real tempted to pick it up but as it stands right now I'll probably be witing until I closer to being ready to do a swap before I pick one up, by then maybe I'll have a coupon to get a better deal.

Pretty sure I've mentioned before in one of my other posts that I'm a cheap son of a gun.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
rib33024

all you have to do, is print out that coupon that he posted, and take it to the store and they will give it to you for that price, very easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorstick View Post
I stopped in at Harbor Freight here in Grand Rapids this morning and they had a 420cc predator on the shelf so they must still be selling them in stores, maybe just not on line.

Sure wish I had that coupon that rj has for $299, I'd be real tempted to pick it up but as it stands right now I'll probably be witing until I closer to being ready to do a swap before I pick one up, by then maybe I'll have a coupon to get a better deal.

Pretty sure I've mentioned before in one of my other posts that I'm a cheap son of a gun.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
Goochy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My local HF did not have it in stock
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcXtreme72 View Post
Biggest reason I've never done the close swap is the fact the chinese engines have a rep for not exactly lasting. You can get an extended warranty for fairly cheap but you have to modify the wiring, cut the crank, drill and tap the crank just to get it to fit. I don't want to have to do that every time you have to change one. I went on my local classifieds and found a 12.5hp briggs single cylinder engine with less then 200 hours and picked it up for $50. I did some performance mods and it's putting out about 17.5 now. Good enough for a $50 engine that I don't have to worry in the back of my mind about reliability. I use my cart way to much to swap engines that frequently.
100% False. The Chinese engines are the best bang for the buck on the market for our intended use. They can be made to hold 30-35hp with just a connecting rod.
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps