lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
pbeach
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 Par Car engine swap help

New here, not sure if I have posted in the right spot.

I have a 87 Par Car 2 stroke and plan on swapping it out to the 420cc "big block" just wondering is anyone has some pictures, parts breakdown and any helpful tips. With the angle the clutch comes off the rear axle has anyone run into lubrication issues with the splash four stroke motors mounting them on a slant? I see Vegas Carts has a clone kit for the 96 and up has anyone used these? would i be able to adapt it for the earlier gen?

Thanks, Phill

I did a pretty through search for a thread similar and came up short.

Also if anyone is interested I have for sale the original 87 2 stroke motor and all other engine compartment equipment that goes along with it gas/oil tanks. I believe the only thing missing is the air box cooling shroud and coil. I can get pictures if needed. I am located in Canada but am only 45 mins from the US MN border and can ship from ZIP 55605
pbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 Par Car engine swap help

First what is your plan for reverse?
Will need a rear transaxle out of a four stroke golf cart if reverse is needed.
Then you would have to fabricate a pan for the engine to sit on.
I would definitely try to get it close to level.
Good luck with your build and post pictures
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
pbeach
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
First what is your plan for reverse?
Will need a rear transaxle out of a four stroke golf cart if reverse is needed.
Then you would have to fabricate a pan for the engine to sit on.
I would definitely try to get it close to level.
Good luck with your build and post pictures
Not going to worry about reverse, looking to keep it as cheap as possible as it will just be a camp buggy.

As far as having the engine level the clutch comes of the rear axle probably a 10-15 degree angle so I'm at the mercy of the existing design, I just was not sure if someone came up with a work around for that.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is more like 30 degrees. I don't think the clone will survive that angle, Another problem to consider is what are you going to use for a primary clutch ? I faced the same issues with my 82 Harley/Columbia cart. I used a complete 440 cc snowmobile engine. It is in the sled engine section here.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
pbeach
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
It is more like 30 degrees. I don't think the clone will survive that angle, Another problem to consider is what are you going to use for a primary clutch ? I faced the same issues with my 82 Harley/Columbia cart. I used a complete 440 cc snowmobile engine. It is in the sled engine section here.
My original though was to use the existing clutch, but looking into it further i was looking at the 40 series torque converters they claim their rated up to 18HP, I saw you post about the 440 swap but the reason i stayed away from that idea is; it was hard to find a decent 440 at a reasonable price(in my area their more valuable than gold) and I figured the snowmobile engine would be louder than a 4 stroke.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What about rotating the rear axle down?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The engine cradle crosses over the top of the frame.Without changing the pivot points of the cradle you can't get the engine in place where it would line up even if you reclocked the rear end.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like some cutting and welding are in order.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I just bumped the thread with Block's bosses clone swap. That would be the only way I could see to do it.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
pbeach
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
What about rotating the rear axle down?
I looked last night it might be doable if I were to rotate the axle down 30 degrees or so (so the diff is at a 90 angle) and have use the chain drive from a torque converter with a sprocket mounted to where the clutch was. As long as i can keep the sprocket fairly small i won't loose any clearance. Using a plate i should be able to mount the engine within the pivoting part of the frame. By rotating the axle it would shorten the distance of travel for the shock but i could just throw a couple of spacers in the springs and it would give me a little bit if a lift (probably 1-2 inches)

[Quote: The engine cradle crosses over the top of the frame.Without changing the pivot points of the cradle you can't get the engine in place where it would line up even if you reclocked the rear end.}

RayHD: I would have to do some measuring but it looks like there would be enough room in front of the rear cross-member to have the engine mounted with the torque converter.

Tags
big block, for sale, help needed, par car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps