lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
wcgolf
Getting Wild

Default Need some troubleshooting recommendations!

So my 2014 Drive 48 volt took on a little water in Hurricane Sally back in the fall. Roughly 16”.

It’s stock height with 14” rims and it does not appear to have taken water in the controller. After the water receded we immediately flushed the entire cart. It was a mixture of salt and fresh water. Due to no flood insurance, we moved in the day before the storm and our policy had no kicked in yet I have zero coverage on the cart and it was pretty much how we wanted it before the storm anyway, I’d like to rebuild it a little faster this time.

Long story short I finally had time today to borrow a buddies new batteries and install them to see if she would run. Ran perfect for about 10 minutes parked it and the. Tried to run it again. Went about 500 feet and no more go. Where do I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wcgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help! Need some troubleshooting recommendations!

Likely motor issues. Might get away with taking it apart cleaning up and replacing brushes - maybe. The stop switch, accelerator potentiometer and all the wiring going to & from them would be suspect for corrosion issues too.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
wcgolf
Getting Wild

I think next move is to remove the body and just start with the motor as described above. Do I need to change the fluids in the rear end? I know zero other than get in hit the gas an go other than basic mechanical info. This will be a whole new level of fun. Sure do wish that flood insurance had kicked in!

Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Water would have gotten into the motor for sure and rusted the brush holders. You might be able to save the motor by disassembling and cleaning. I would drain and refill the rear end fluid too. Those are the main things that water could get into and damage.
The motor is fairly easy to disassemble. I recently replaced the brushes in my 2010 YDRE. I disassembled and cleaned everything while I was at it. Brush dust was everywhere.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
wcgolf
Getting Wild

Well got it apart today and ran my
Meter on everything. All looked good so decision was made to pull the motor. It had some water still in it and it’s a rusty mess.

If I decide to not waste any
More time than I have on it does anyone have a recommendation on motor and controller upgrades and best place to get them?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Alltrax controller and D&D motor would be my recommendation.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #7
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Need some troubleshooting recommendations!

Navitas and Admiral MOT-D2
limaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Forget the stock motor. It's time for upgrades. Get a aftermarket controller (alltrax is my go-to), and leave that stock motor in the "rusty dust", it was a weak point anyway. I'm personally not a fan of D&Ds plastic brush rig. I've not had a problem yet with the fsip 221-48vspeedey motor, had only good results. (It does require a adapter plug for the tach sensor available from them). But, it's a poor choice for stock controllers, it needs more power than they can offer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have had a D&D in my Yamaha for over 4 years now. (a high torque version) It came with the correct connector for my speed sensor. All you have to do is ask for that. I just got a more standard version for my latest YDRE that has the 12.5:1 gears. My other cart has 9:1 and that is why I got the high torque motor along with the 500Amp Alltrax. I smoked the stock motor in four years on my first cart. I mounted a temperature sensor on the D&D and it runs quite cool even with the 9:1 gearing. I have the Alltrax current max set at 400A and that gives me plenty of performance.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #10
wcgolf
Getting Wild

Can any of you guys give me ideas on speeds with your upgrades? I’m in Florida panhandle and don’t have hills so
Looking for best bang for the buck!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha