lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #11
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 stroke ezgo sluggish at starting off

Yes the engine is clanking, or noisy. I had thought it was the clutch, but noise stayed after replacement.
The spark plugs do color up quick, I don't know what a good color for a two cycle is but guessed its between white and sooty.
I pulled engine once for clutch, I hate it that I didn't think to do seals then.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #12
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well my friend had a Harley cart had ok compression but there was a defect in his jug by the exit Port which makes it run bad going forward but it ran good in reverse sorry I should have said defective jug not warn out jug
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ford View Post
Yes the engine is clanking, or noisy. I had thought it was the clutch, but noise stayed after replacement.
The spark plugs do color up quick, I don't know what a good color for a two cycle is but guessed its between white and sooty.
I pulled engine once for clutch, I hate it that I didn't think to do seals then.
White and sooty usually indicates lean if I’m picturing your description accurately. Back to crank seals.

If the engine is that “clanky” there may be excessive play on the rod to crankshaft connection. When you pull the engine for crank seals I’d recommend pulling off the jug and make sure the rod is tight and doesn’t have any slop, or the crank seal replacement may be all for nothing. It may be perfectly fine and something else making the noise, but I’d think it’s worthwhile to check while it’s out and easy to get to.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Grab the drive clutch and see if you can move the crankshaft up and down. Also start it without the drive belt to see if it's still noisy.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe It’s the starter and the barring’s are going out I’ve seen starters lock up a motor before
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #16
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The starter is new so not that.
I have seals coming Thurs. I'm hoping crank bearings are noisy and not rod bearing. Opening it up Wed to see what kind of mess I have.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ford View Post
The starter is new so not that.
I have seals coming Thurs. I'm hoping crank bearings are noisy and not rod bearing. Opening it up Wed to see what kind of mess I have.
Good luck! Let us know what you find, it will help the next person out that’s having similar issues
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #18
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I got the engine apart. the crank bearing was bad on fan side. The rod bearing looks and feels good so I'm going with that. In that the compression was over 100, I'm going back with a new std piston and rings and running glaze brake hone for crosshatch in jug.

My dilemma is the seals. I got two in a bearing seal combo that are rubber coated. I had ordered seals before at another vendor and "they" came, only one, but it was the metal case seal, like I took out.

So, will these rubber coated seals stay in with the red locktite?
Old 08-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #19
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

That's exactly the reason I had to rebuild mine about 5 years ago...........

So, are you saying the outer mating surface of the seal to case is rubber coated? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that type, but think I would stay with the bare metal ones
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #20
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got a pic of the seals. With all the trouble that can come from the crank seals on these engines, especially having to use red locktite to hold them in securely, why would anyone send or sell me rubber coated seals?

I'm asking to see if anyone has used these rubber coated seals successfully, so I won't have to wait another week on a metal seal to come in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220816_103215.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO