lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
dajogejr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Michigan Process for LSV

I’ve read a few of the notes here for Jersey, Florida…etc.
I haven’t come across a thread specifically for Michigan.

I understand there is a form, TR54 to fill out by a PO.
I have that, anyone here go through this process recently?

I bought my cart assembled from a shop with a bill of sale.
I also had him put the legal requirements on, also on a bill of sale (Lights, Turn S., brake, side view mirrors, etc)

Anyone give me a good step by step, or at least a point in the right direction to move this process along?

I’m not as concerned with driving on roads as I am insurance.
Homeowners covers the cart on my property or in my garage… which, once I drive off it’s no longer covered. I’d like to add it to my car/homeowners policy for peace of mind.

Any help is appreciated, I’ve searched government sites and requirements are clear, steps and processes are not.

TIA
dajogejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
TMZ222
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Michigan Process for LSV

Headlights, brake lights, running lights, horn, turn signals, license plate light, mirrors, safety glass, DOT approved tires, seatbelts, a Vin number once all that’s achieved an inspection signed off by a police officer and you must have auto insurance in order to get a license plate from the Secretary of State. This is the list I was told in my city Gibraltar MI
TMZ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
dajogejr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Crappy part is this…. You need to get the TR54 for filled out by a PO.
Then, with that form and proof of sale/purchase, you have to go to SOS to get a VIN.
Once you have the VIN, you can get insurance and go BACK to SOS to get a plate.

Crazy for sure…I’m hollering at a few of my cop friends to get an inspection on my cart. The form tells you everything you have to have.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

I did a sand rail in 2016. From the sign off on the TR54 to the time I got my plate was about 3 months, and that was without any delays at SOS. Biggest delay was getting someone from the state to apply the vin tag to the chassis, that was 2 months.

I will be starting this process again soon, but for a side by side. Fingers crossed the SOS gets their schedules sorted.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
Jancoe1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I too built a sandrail. Tr54 form. Took a few months for the sos to come and put a vin on it. Hardest part after that was getting insurance on it. In Michigan an assembled title vin starts with mi and then 15 numbers. So the letter i is flagged because no vin has an i.
Jancoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
dajogejr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancoe1 View Post
I too built a sandrail. Tr54 form. Took a few months for the sos to come and put a vin on it. Hardest part after that was getting insurance on it. In Michigan an assembled title vin starts with mi and then 15 numbers. So the letter i is flagged because no vin has an i.
With my homeowner and motorcycle insurance company, Progressive, they would not let me insure it for street use without having a VIN/title for SMV.

I called Safeco insured it no problem, under a “motorcycle” policy.
Now, I asked…and they were clear, have to have a motorcycle endorsement in order to be protected on the street, which….is no issue for me.

Very inexpensive and I carry the same limits/coverages as I do on my bike and vehicles.

I even bought towing and rental car. Normally I don’t buy silly stuff, but when they said for $12….yes, twelve bucks a year… they’d pick it up, etc. Buck a month… LOL
Old 09-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Will this work?

slow2.png?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
dajogejr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Will this work?
I think that is one of the requirements as well…:)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!