lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Default G19e - Bad activation circuit?

Hey all - I picked up a non-running 2001 48V G19 a couple of weeks ago and started troubleshooting. The symptom was that it would not go. No click, nothing. The batteries are charged to 50V, the lights work, but the solenoid does not click, and the reverse beeper does not activate.

So I replaced the accelerator stop switch, and then the solenoid. Still nothing. The keyswitch is working fine, as is the F/R switch - both test good. The last thing I tried was to jump the negative side of the solenoid control circuit to the B- pole. and now we are off to the races - everything runs perfectly. So clearly the activation circuit in the controller is bad (not giving it a negative), and I really dont want to drop $400 on a new controller..

My question is this - what are the consequences of leaving that negative side of the control circuit on the solenoid jumped to the battery? The solenoid will remain pulled in as long as the tow switch is on, I guess. So maybe that drains the batteries...Anything else?
Traviswright is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G19e - Bad activation circuit?

Safety! The main reason for the solenoid is to break the power connection in case the controller fails full on.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Ahhhh... Yeah, that is a pretty good idea too. Any chance that controller is fixable? Could a handy dude crack that thing open and find a little relay that needs to be repaired?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I know that my G29 had a Moric controller and it was all potted and not servicable. I would recommend an aftermarket controller like Alltrax if you need a new one. I replaced the Moric in both of my Yamaha carts with an Alltrax. One big advantage is that you can program it with a laptop - not possible with the stock controller.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Yeah - I was thinking if I did replace it, I would go for the Alltrax XCT-48400.

Two questions:
1) I see them on ebay for $485 - is there a better place to go?
2) Will my cart go faster with this controller?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traviswright View Post
Yeah - I was thinking if I did replace it, I would go for the Alltrax XCT-48400.

Two questions:
1) I see them on ebay for $485 - is there a better place to go?
2) Will my cart go faster with this controller?

Thanks!
1- pricing- I dont know, but I would recommend one of our site sponsors.
2- YES, your speed will increase from 14 mph to 24 mph (assuming batteries, cables, motor are all in good health).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Well that is awesome to know... I just took it for a ride with the band-aid solution, and clocked it with a GPS spedometer on my phone. max speed was 22.8MPH with the stock controller that is in it. Does that mean I will go even faster?

I will look for a site sponsor that can help with a controler - good idea.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you order an Alltrax, make sure you get the right one for your cart. The connector that goes to the controller has to match. Also, make sure that whomever you get it from can program it for your motor and throttle type. You can do those things yourself but it's much easier to get it done for you.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:09 PM   #9
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Awesome - thank you. I ordered one that specifically said it was for a G19, and the connector looks like the same that I have, so hopefully all is good. Thanks for the advice. Can I download the softeare and tweak it for better performance?
Old 06-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Alltrax has software that you run on your PC / Laptop that allows you to change parameters on the controller. You can also update controller Firmware with that app. if needed.

Tags
click, controller, g19, solenoid, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha