lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
Little_boodah
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default I slapped in a lithium and now my headlights/tail lights/ radio isn’t working

I’m stumped and I really don’t want to take it to a shop So I’ve been trying to trouble shoot my carts problem, but my problem is idk what on earth I’m doing….

So I’ve got a 2006 club car ds with a extreme team carts battery. It had a working radio, headlights/tail lights, and a brake lights kit. There is also a 48>12v reducer. So I was thinking well I’ll just hook it up to the 48 volt side annnnddd boom…. All of my lights exploded… 😵*💫 let’s move pass my ignorance for a second. I tested all of my electrical points and I’ve got twelve volts at my brake light silinoid. And when I hook up my wires to the 48 volts I have 48 volts at my tail and headlights…. But when I hook them up on the 12v side of the battery there’s nothings… and this is where the trouble begins. Any ideas on what I should begin to do? Rewire my lights? Take it to a pro?

I looked at a diagram for wiring in lights and I thought maybe I’ll start there. Wire the lights as if they were the only thing and then wire all the other goodies in but I feel like I may be over looking something silly. Like maybe I don’t need a reducer with the lithium on board reducer?

Like I said idk what to do and looking for some help
Little_boodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: I slapped in a lithium and now my headlights/tail lights/ radio isn’t working

The first item you need to buy is a Multimeter so you can check voltages.

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Mu...a-897758219168
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Little_boodah
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: I slapped in a lithium and now my headlights/tail lights/ radio isn’t working

I’ve got one of them bad boys, there are just so many wires I’m having trouble trouble shooting it. That’s how I came to my voltage conclusions at the light
Old 10-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If you have 48V going into your 48\12 reducer, and you got nothing coming on the out side, I would have to believe your reducer is (for some reason) toast.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I'm no expert but if you hooked up a bunch of 12 volt lights to 48 volts I'd assume that most of those components are now toast. From what I've read the built in reducer in the Team Extreme battery is 12 volts 8 amps...... probably not enough for a stereo and full lights. You need a working 48 to 12 volt reducer and then find out which components are fried. Take my comments with a grain of salt. I've run a successful auto repair facility for 31 years and tried to talk multiple cart owners out of taking my advise.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Little_boodah
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Re: I slapped in a lithium and now my headlights/tail lights/ radio isn’t working

Maybe I blew the 48-12v reducer… idk how that would’ve happened. Considering all things but something isn’t right..
Old 10-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_boodah View Post
Maybe I blew the 48-12v reducer… idk how that would’ve happened. Considering all things but something isn’t right..
Check it with your MM and you will KNOW if it's bad.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
Fxitrghtthefirsttime
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Idk about everyone else's experience with these reducers but I had a similar mistake. And when my reducer went out it stunk up my whole shop. There was no doubt that it was bad. I was trying to hook up a light bar and I found a pair of 12 volt wires with nothing attached to them in the dash. What I didn't notice was there was also a pair of 48v wires loose in the dash and when I went to hook up the light bar I grabbed 1 of the 12v wires and one of the 48v wires and basically backfed 48 volts to the 12v out put of my reducer. So in my opinion you probably messed up your reducer but if it doesn't put out an awful smell then it might still be alright. Maybe check all the fuses that protect your controller.
Fxitrghtthefirsttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #9
TigerGolfcart
Not Yet Wild

If you have an extreme team battery, on the 12 volt side are you getting 12 volts when you hook up to a MM? If not, does your extreme team battery have a power button on it? If it does, turn it on and see if that turns on the 12 volt side. If it does, then hook up one component at a time and see if you can get one thing at a time to work. If there is no voltage out of the 12 volt side of the battery, call the extreme team folks and ask them for help. My 12 volt side doesn’t come on until i turn it on and I even think there is auto turn off feature if there is not current pull on it for a while. I am not sure about that last bit, because I just installed mine a while back and still playing with it.
Hope this helps…
TigerGolfcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car