lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: spindle and king pins

I pressed mine in with a large c-clamp
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
shootrig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The vise and c-clamb are both good ideas; I have a vise I might have been able get enough butt into it; I am certain I don't have a c-clamp that big. I called the company I bought the kit from, I am sure most if not everyone on here has bought stuff from them. The tech told me today, that because what they sell are aftermarket parts, I should have sanded or filed the OD of the bronze bushings before I tried to install them. I don't know, that just don't seem right to me. I have a feeling I am going to start doing what I do for my wife's Avalanche and my F150 - go to the dealer for parts.
shootrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Installing the bushings isn't typically a problem. The fact that they compress so tightly once installed that the kingpins won't slide through them is the issue. Once they're reamed out, they're fine. But then again, I don't use or sell aftermarket bushings so I can't speak for them.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
shootrig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
When I replace bushing like that, I put the new bushing in the freezer and heat the eye of whatever the bushing is going into.
old school but it works well.
Ya, I always forget about this way. Seen it done, works, but I seem to forget it.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
shootrig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shop report:

I am borrowing a 3/4" drill bit and a 1/2" drill from a buddy at work; so I wanted everything to be ready when I brought his tools home so I can use and return them in a timely manner. I pulled the spindles off and removed the king-pins, what a chore. On the right side spindle I put the king-pin bracket in the vice, drove a 1" PVC pipe on the tie-rod extension and used the PVC and the other extension as a lever to twist and pull, it sucked but I got it.

On the left side, since I did not have the extension for the tie-rod, I viced up the spindle lever, put a bolt through the king-pin and took a long pry bar and twisted as I pushed the king-pin out; again a lot of work, but I got it out.

Now the spindle tube for where the king-pins go are full of new grease, I needed that out so it wouldn't hold the shavings when I drill them out. I used a 12 gauge brass brush from my gun cleaning kit, wrapped a rag around it, soaked it with brake clean, and scrubbed them out a half dozen times each. Both are nice clean and dry, ready to drill out, wash and reassemble tomorrow evening.

Oh and yes TahoeDawg is correct; I measured the king-pins and .750 (3/4") is spot on!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
shootrig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shop Report

Instead of drilling the bushings out, one of the guys at work suggested I use a brake cylinder hone, that that will keep things more trued up. Good idea, and its working; I just have to take a small wire brush and clean out the filings from the soft bronze every so often, but its working.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
shootrig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shop Report

One side is complete and feels good, the other side, the top one is done but the bottom one still has some honing to be done, I had to order a replacement set of hone stones. The king pin must not be true as I insert it from the bottom up about the time the threads begin to poke through, it seizes up, if I insert it from the top down, same thing. I assume the king pin is just a touch larger toward the bottom. I will need to hone just the lower one more.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #18
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootrig View Post
Shop Report

Instead of drilling the bushings out, one of the guys at work suggested I use a brake cylinder hone, that that will keep things more trued up. Good idea, and its working; I just have to take a small wire brush and clean out the filings from the soft bronze every so often, but its working.
A hone will follow the path of least resistance and not necessarly align 2 bushings up.
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

That is why I used a drill long enough to go through both bushings
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car