lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 DS won't turn over

My old dependable DS sits covered outside through the PA winters. Typicality starts up with fresh gas and new plug. This year not so. New plug, fresh gas, getting air...no start. Checked the solenoid, it's good. Next upstream is the voltage regulator and starter/generator, not sure how to check those without starting the cart? I've found a crack in the exhaust pipe as it leaves the engine. Could that be it? Loss of compression due to the crack? I've noticed now that it hesitates a long time before it starts to rotate. Any advice on what to do next would be very appreciated.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 DS won't turn over

I took a video but doesn't seem to be allowed by the site. Just cranks with no combustion.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Air, Fuel Spark. Start with the basics. Crank it over for a little bit, NO START?, pull the plug, Plug wet with gas?yes/no? check for spark, yes/no?. Do these 3 things then you have info to offer and we have somewhere to start
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Yes, plug wet with gas. Yes, have spark. Definitely getting air too. Solenoid good. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Scud
Not Yet Wild

When I did get a "pop" of combustion the exhaust shoots out the crack in the exhaust pipe which is right in front of the combustion chamber.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Just noticed that when I put the plug in the plug wire and hold it, I get shocked. Guessing that shouldn't be happening? (Happens only on the thinner wiring by the plug end, not by the thicker wiring back to the unit.). Is it designed to leak? Put a few layers of tape on, still shocking me. Doesn't look like just the wire can be replaced? Do I need a new assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Have you tried a new spark plug? Even if your plug sparks outside the chamber during a test, the pressure of combustion could keep it from firing when installed. Sometimes the ceramic around the electrode can crack and cause this issue.

And no, a hole in the exhaust pipe will not affect your compression.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Springbok. Yes, brand new plug. Do you think it could be shorting through wire?

Appreciate the answer on the exhaust. Was wondering about that. I can see gas vapor shooting up several feet when the plug is out.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It sounds like it's spark-related to me. When you say you have spark, how did you confirm this?

You said that you held the plug while it was hooked to the wire and it shocked you. This sounds like what I would expect to happen. The best way to test spark is to hold the plug with a pair of insulated pliers and make sure the plug body is grounded to the motor by holding it against the block.

Also, if you say it hesitates a long time before beginning to turn over that is probably your starter/generator belt. Make sure it's good and tight.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Yes, tested the spark plug per the suggested way above. That's how I got shocked - forgot the pliers :-). Very good arc. Stater belt gas no slack. Think the battery got low.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car