lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default help with wheel/tire selection

I have a 09 RXV and I picked up a Jake's 6" lift kit for it. I now need to determine the wheel and tire combination for it.

Is there an advantage to the 10" wheel vs 12" wheel?
I would assume that the more sidewall the more cushioned the ride.

I believe that I need 3:5 offset wheels, correct?
Not all ads have the offset of the wheels in it.

I do not want to go over 22" tires so give me something to think about before I lay down my cash and purchase.

And of course, wheres the best place to buy them...
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: help with wheel/tire selection

10 inch tires seem to be a little cheaper, along with the wheels. Some tires don't come in 10 inch.What I would do ,would be to figure out the style of tire you want to be sure they come in the size you want.Then get your wheels. Douglas wheels make 10x7 and 12x7 wheels in a couple nice styles just for carts.There are a couple tires designs that only come in 12 and larger. 10 inch is a popular size so there are more tread designs available.I use 10's on mine because the prices are less, and I had a couple old 4 wheelers that had 10's so all I had to do is by wheels.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So if I understand correctly 10 " tires may have more of a variety and may be cheaper because of the increase selection... That's a good start. I am not looking for a real fancy wheel, and I have even considered steel wheels as a possible choice. I have searched eBay for starters and I see that many of the auctions do not list an offset for the wheels. I believe that I need the 3:5 offset for the Jake's lift, so this is an important factor in my search.
I remember that when I bought tires for my pickup truck, I dropped to a 17" wheel from an 18" because that was a larger selection of tires for that size of wheel. I really don't want the large wheel look for my lifted cart.
I am looking for a all around tread design because the cart will mainly used on the property for towing yard implements and such so a paddle style is not needed or preferred.
I will check out the Douglas wheels and continue my search: thanks for your input.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You need at a 3" back space. it can be less but not more. You can get DW (douglas wheels) spun aluminum 10" with a 3x4 offsets.There are other brand of wheels, but I live close to a kart shop that is a DW dist for them and get a fair price. ITP has some really cool wheels for carts also. A "standard" cart with is 7" wide and they will work fine with most tires unless you go really wide, but the bigger the tire footprint, the more power it takes to move them. 22x11x10 is a very common tire size and shouldn't effect performance to much. I have a EZGO tuff 1 project that I'm going with 25's as it has a 13-1 rear gear(i think) and I want to change the ratio without changing gears, it makes the rear ratio the same as 9-1.I'm fairly new to all this so I have no idea what your final drive is on your cart.
I can only afford older carts, put I now have 4 sitting here and what I have in them I could have bought a newer one. But then I would only have 1 instead of 4.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well by that last post it would appear that you know more than me... I don't even know what 3:5 stands for, but I know it is for wheel movement to the outside of the cart.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTyme View Post
Well by that last post it would appear that you know more than me... I don't even know what 3:5 stands for, but I know it is for wheel movement to the outside of the cart.
3:5 means a 8" wide wheel with 3 inches from the mounting face to the edge of the rim on the back side and 5 inches on the front. Almost every off-set wheel will be close to that, and will be needed if you put 21" or larger tires on the cart regardless of wheel diameter. If you have a 4:4 or 0-offset wheel, you will need a 1-2" wheel spacer to fit larger tires.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
3:5 means a 8" wide wheel with 3 inches from the mounting face to the edge of the rim on the back side and 5 inches on the front.
Thank you for that bit of info. I am looking at going no larger than 22" because I do not plan on any gearing changes. I do move an enclosed trailer in the yard when I cut the grass with the cart and pull a 4' wide roller, lawn cart, plugger, etc among other things. Looks like I am looking at 10" wheels with 22" tires with an all terrain tread pattern then.
Now to find them at the best price: Thanks all!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Now to add one more thing, if your going to use it for yard work where your going to be running it all over your lawn you will want to be mild on the tread style,if you gett agressive you will tear up your turf when turning.
Sorry I didn't explain the offset better.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got a set of 22' tires and wheels from Rockytopcarts on ebay. 329 to my door if I remember right. I like them. I have the 5" lift and they are offset for lifts.
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

10" That's what I think.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO