lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Question Fully adjusted governor not hitting rev limiter?

I have a stock motor 350 Robins 2008 St Sport II and I recently ran the governor bolt all the way in because my motor was only turning 2900-3000 rpms with the nut about 3/4 of the way, and I wanted to see what it'd do. I ran it the rest of the way in, and it stayed the same speed. It revs up to about 3060 rpms until it kicks in, and then it backs off to 2600-2700. All this is assuming that the tiny tach I've installed is operating correctly and I have it on the right setting. I'm pretty sure that I do because I have the tuning spring in the clutch and my cart idles at 1000 and the clutch engages at 1200 like the directions to the kit from CPP says. I tried changing the settings, but the numbers were 700 rpms off in either direction. So I'm pretty sure the tachs right, I get the same results attaching it to either spark plug wire, and I've never heard the rev limiter kick in. Could it be possible that my setup which has the 1 inch shorter belt with the 28 degree driven clutch is making enough torque to get the governor in the rear end going so quick that the governor is kicking in that early? Is there anyway around this? My cart has less than 75 hours on it, and I bought it brand new. It has a 6 inch lift with 23 inch tires. Didn't adjust the governor or any other mods at all until warranty expired last May. Thanks for the input.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Fully adjusted governor not hitting rev limiter?

Rock,

EZGO changed the design of the governor on the 2004 & later Robins powered carts.. They made it a bit more tamper resistant than the earlier models.. You can tighten the nut all the way down until it stops without a major increase in speed.. You need to make a "shim" between the nut and the retaining washer on the governor spring..

I used a couple of 1/4" hex nuts that I cut a slot in the side of, to slip over the threaded end of the accelerator cable between the adjusting nut & spring.. They're retained with a couple of small zip-ties so they can be easily removed, to go back to governed operation..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1314.jpg (81.8 KB, 64 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Rock,

EZGO changed the design of the governor on the 2004 & later Robins powered carts.. They made it a bit more tamper resistant than the earlier models.. You can tighten the nut all the way down until it stops without a major increase in speed.. You need to make a "shim" between the nut and the retaining washer on the governor spring..

I used a couple of 1/4" hex nuts that I cut a slot in the side of, to slip over the threaded end of the accelerator cable between the adjusting nut & spring.. They're retained with a couple of small zip-ties so they can be easily removed, to go back to governed operation..
CC, never thought of using nuts but hey it works... I just used a small piece of 1/4"fuel hose and a couple of zips
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Rock,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
CC, never thought of using nuts but hey it works... I just used a small piece of 1/4"fuel hose and a couple of zips
Thank you sirs! I haven't seen this anywhere else. I just followed directions in the sticky. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

CC, I put 2 nuts on there just like you have, tightened it down, and only about 70 more rpms initially and cruising. Ran the same speed. 25-26 mph. Should I go more or is that all I should expect? I just can't understand why it won't get up to close to 4 grand. I don't want to blow it up, but I would like to be able to use all available power.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Beats me???? Ya might try swapping the original drive belt back on it to see if the shorter belt is the issue.. Also check the adjustment of the gov. to carb. cable.. Playing with the idle speed may have altered the cable adjustment enough to keep the throttle from opening all the way..

The cable adjustment procedure is found on page 75 of the link below..

EZGO Gas Service manual
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I had to adjust the cables after my initial run with it tonight, and they're fine. I'll try the factory belt tomorrow. It pulls really good like it is now, and 26 is pretty fast, but I wish it would have responded a little more. Thanks for your quick reply, CC.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

CC, Just letting you know the engine actually revs lower with the factory belt on it, and a lot less torque. I'm just going to put the short belt back on and leave it alone, it is plenty fast and gets there quick. I readjusted all cables, and the carb is opening up all the way. The governor spring is really compressed, so I guess that's all she'll do. Clutches can't be worn out with only 81 hours on her now. Thanks for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO