lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Please help identify year & model (and other questions)..

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and have a few questions.

I just picked up this EZ-GO gas golf cart off of craigslist and I'm trying to find out what year it is, and get some more info on it. Can anyone tell what year it is based off of the attached pics? The body is made of metal.

Also, I found a metal tag on it, but its not legable. All I can make out is a few numbers. It has the following numbers spaced out: 3 2565 2,565 V 19 and I'm guessing the last one is the serial number: 322828.

If anyone can identify it, could you also please tell me where I can find a service and owners manual?

I was told by the PO that it has a Robin 2 cycle motor. Took me forever just to figure out how to start it. Apparently you have to turn the ignition in the "on" position and press the gas pedal. As you can see, I could really use an owners manual.

Currently its not running. It appears that its not getting gas to the carb from the tank. I'm guessing it works off of vacuum? I'm still trying to figure out how everything works but I'm hoping to get it running and restore it.

Does this thing even have reverse? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know anything about it and am wanting to learn.

I would really appreciate anything you guys can tell me about this cart.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3k63m53la5O35Q35X3b6r75b1a283c6061d17.jpg (9.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 3n13k03ld5V15Y45S3b6r16c968a19d15134f.jpg (9.6 KB, 83 views)
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Please help identify year & model (and other questions)..

Looks like an 89 model. Most 89 models had a 3PG robin engine. 88 models and below had a 2PG engine. Ir you look on the right side of the cart in the cubby hole (like the glove box area) you should find a metal plate with the model # and serial number. That will help you find the exact year.

Forward and reverse are located on the handle just below the seat on the front cowling where the choke cable and key switch are. The handle moved to the left (toward the drivers side) should be forward. Push the handle to the right and that should be reverse.

If you can, you should take some pictures of the engine, and post them. That will help the good folks on here identify your motor.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Phillip. Like I said, I found the plate but its not legible. The only things I can make out are the numbers I listed above. I tried putting in the serial number on the EZGO website but it didn't give me any results. I'll take some more pics over the weekend (including the engine compartment) and post them here next week.

While searching this forum I came accross this thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ce-manual.html
The second post has a service manual which should hopefully cover my cart if its an 89 model.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Nope - definitely not an 89 (the 88-up models had a molded plastic nose guard and slightly different rear fender trim) ... The SN leads me to believe 1982 (as does the style of the cowl as well as the rear fender trim, canopy mounts, etc) although the non-legible plate would confirm it without a doubt (I can guarantee beyond a shadow though that the latest model it could be would be 87, but again, the indicators all shout "early 80's").

The late 82's (and actually right up through mid 8 had the 244cc 2PG Robin engine, 9hp. That 87 manual will cover you just fine, although (I believe) the early 82's still had point ignition so there would be some slight differences in the electrical schematics (if you have a pulsar/ignitor system though that manual should be close to 100% on).

Welcome to the 2-stroke world! First thing you need to consider is whether you want to trust your carts engine to a 25+ year-old oiler system (chances are the answer is "NO", and if it isn't, it should be) - now would be a great time to pull the old oil injector system and plug the hole on the intake where the oiler feeds, then start running 2-stroke premix at a 128:1 ratio ... As your fun unfolds, feel free to holler anytime with questions, etc - That's what we're here for !!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oh, as to your other questions (sorry)

The 2PG actually runs in 2 directions depending on whether you are in forward or reverse (there's a neutral on the gearshift which actually doesn't do anything, one of the mysteries of these old 2-strokes) - as to fuel delivery, the pump runs off crankcase vacuum, and the easiest way to test it is to ensure that the pickup tube in the gas tank is intact and not leaking air, etc, then pull the line at the carb and turn it over. If you get a healthy stream of fuel, the pump is good, if not, then we need to start looking at either a faulty pump (common from sitting) or possibly bad crank seals (also common) ... Keep in mind that these pumps are NOT self-priming, so prior to testing it's a good idea to put a rag around the filler neck of the gas tank (to protect your mouth and create a "seal" of sorts) and blow into the tank to force fuel into the lines and pump (sounds hokey but it's the easiest, most reliable way to prime these).

Provided you have fuel pressure (fingers crossed) and spark - then we look at leading you through a carb teardown and cleaning (which although it sounds intimidating, is very simple and there's really almost nothing you can mess up, these carbs are really easy to work on and have a WIDE tolerance of adjustment, etc) - even a single winter of sitting can much up the jets good on these carbs, again the good news it that it's a really easy procedure (we'll cross that bridge later if we need to).

If at all possible, try NOT to use ether (starting fluid) with your cart - number one it washes away valuable lubrication, and number two it is pretty volatile and can cause you to backfire which may easily blow out a crank seal (especially if the cart has been sitting awhile) - THEN you're looking at another project that takes a good chunk of time and effort and can be really, REALLY frustrating for a "first-timer".
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Please help identify year & model (and other questions)..

Thanks for the info BrewCityMusic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
First thing you need to consider is whether you want to trust your carts engine to a 25+ year-old oiler system (chances are the answer is "NO", and if it isn't, it should be) - now would be a great time to pull the old oil injector system and plug the hole on the intake where the oiler feeds, then start running 2-stroke premix at a 128:1 ratio ...
As far as I can tell, this one has no oil injector and is already running a premix.

Over the weekend, I cleaned out the carb, checked the fuel pump, etc. Still a no go. I need to do a compression test. I'll be posting another thread soon concerning getting her running.

I attached a few pics showing the engine compartment as Phillip suggested.

Thanks again guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (118.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (115.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (117.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (103.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Based on the seatbacks, I'm guessing an '84. interesting to see the fasten points for the canopy - both BCM and I hadn't seen any canopies fastened onto a Marathon like that when we discussed it in another thread.

Another simple way to look at it is you need fuel, spark, and compression to get one of these carts running. Check spark (should check plug anyways) when you have the plug out to check compression. If both of these pass, we can then help you with the fuel system. If one or both fail, well, at least we have a place to start!

Assuming worst case scenario, a top end rebuild is not an overly difficult job, though replacing the crank seals while doing the rebuild adds a fair bit of work to it. As long as you're OK turning a wrench and can handle regular frustration, this is a doable job.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply ScooterMC. Spark is good. The line coming from the fuel pump to the carb only produces a few drops of fuel when cranking the engine, so I checked the fuel pump which appeared to be in good shape. To bypass the fuel issue, I sprayed a little carb cleaner into the cylinder and it did nothing. So I unbolted the exhaust pipe from the head, sprayed carb cleaner into the cylinder again and it fired up and ran for a few seconds. That had me thinking that maybe the muffler was clogged. So I unbolted the muffler, put the shorter pipe (connected to the head) back on and left a good 3/4" opening between it and the pipe going to the muffler (the shorter pipe was not clogged), but it still won't crank unless the shorter pipe is unbolted from the head completely. So I checked the reed valves, which were fine. The fact that its not getting enough air into the cylinder to ignite is making me think its low on compression. That might also explain why the fuel pump isn't pumping a good stream of fuel to the carb. Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, a friend is going to loan me his compression tester tomorrow, and I'll report the results in a new thread in a couple of days.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With only a few drops of fuel coming out of the fuel line, it can be a couple of things:
- A crack in the diaphragm of the fuel pump (sometimes only detected by rubbing it with your fingers)
- A crank seal failure, which would be expected in a cart this age if it has not been rebuilt
- A loss of suction in the fuel pump hose attached to the crankcase due to hose ageing or cracking
- A plugged fuel filter
- Problems with the feeder tube in the gas tank

If you got the muffler off already, you might as well BBQ it:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-hot-pics.html

These are some good places to start at. Also, make sure you empty and clean out the tank the best you can and get some clean fuel in there.

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 07-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: remembered some stuff
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Scooter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO