lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
ride2tires
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G9 winter project

Thanks everyone!
Maybe she'll get the bigger banger next winter.?.? Tho, I must admit, keeping my eye open for a doner ;)
ride2tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of us are waiting for someone to put a Harley engine in one, guy told me you can buy a used for reasonable why not. Only need to put in a fan to cool it and jackshaft a clutch if you keep the cvt in it. Otherwise its a chore to shift and clutch just for riding around. Sure would be a cool sounding cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
ride2tires
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

sho- frankly the idea of a 88ci, 96ci or a 103ci seems a little much. Tho, one would have all the torque they wanted if ya could get it to the ground. A 883 or 1200.... hmmmm..... they love a little higher RPM and hate to be lugged.... hmmmm.....
Would be a interesting ride while sitting on 60-68 HP from a 1200 for sure!
And yes- probably get some looks from the "potato-potato-potato" sound of sweetness.LOL
Maybe time to start looking for a "crash" bike.

wonder if the G/F would notice the 88CI missing from her StreetGlide????
ride2tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Guys have built B&S 35hp up to about 60hp, cart was pretty crazy look up Alpha carts. No you don't need that power 20 is enough for most things offroad. The problem is offroad you need a lot better suspension to use more power. Even the weakest HD engine would do just fine. What would be really cool is to mod the rear body and mount it back there in sight, might take some figuring to hook up the drive though. I had thought of running two clone engines and time them like a harley with a chain or cogged belt drive, but you need a workhorse or something to have enough room for that. It is possible but difficult to fit in a standard lifted cart.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've got a spare HD motor sitting around in the shop along with an old 4 spd tranny. Had thought about dropping it in my G1. Really wouldn't take that much fabbing. The biggest problem is the differential wouldn't hold up to the power. Also, the reverse issue would be costly. An aftermarket add-on unit is very expensive and it's next to impossible to find an old servi-car tranny with reverse (also very expensive). I've seen carts with Honda bike motors so I'm sure someone out there has done one with an HD motor. Going to keep the idea around though for the next cart.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You could use a Polaris 4x4 Quad Trans.They are a CVT-Drive,with Chain-Drive to the rear.Then build an axle similar to a Go-Kart or Mini-Sprint.1-1/4" Steel-axle with 4"x4 hubs,sprocket,and disc-brake.The trans has Hi,Low,and Reverse.Just have to figure out an adapter for a CVT-Primary Clutch to the Harley-Crank.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Guys run 1,000cc bike engines on the cart rear all the time, long as you don't pop the clutch they work fine. The gears in a yamaha are about 1" wide. With the rice rocket motors they ease away then just gas it and they spin from all the power, no need to clutch them. The rpm band is so wide they don't shift much either. I would keep the cvt myself it would be easy to drive like a normal cart. I would adapt the clutch to the HD engine or sprocket and chain to a jackshaft with the primary on it. I don't recall how they connect the engine/trans because I know HD they are separate, did look at one lately guy converted to belt drive in there. He drilled a lot of holes in the cover to ventilate it. It would even be worth it to find a smaller carb to limit the power if you were worried about it, or just pull back the cable you use so you don't get WOT. The novelty would be worth gold I would think. You would need some really cool chrome pipes....

IMO it would be nicer to use a V type bike engine anyway, they are more docile and have a nice midrange powerband. Exhaust note is cool too. Funny part is I watched a video of the yami R1 I think, its an inline 4 but they changed the fire order and it sounds like a V now.

Another thing is the cvt is very nice to drivetrains since there is no shock from it, unless you put a huge primary spring in that engages hard. They rarely break anything as they are so smooth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha