lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 starting issues

Well, all the easy/free stuff has been tried with no improvement. You now mention that you also hear a grinding noise when cranking. You might be correct in thinking the starter/gen could be the problem. The starter/gen could have worn bearings/bushings causing the armature to drag on the field laminations (that would be the grinding noise). The starter/gen is repairable if you take it to an automotive alternator, starter, repair shop in your area. They should be able to recondition it to near new condition. If you are handy, you could probably do it yourself (I have seen repair kits containing the necessary parts). Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Ayoung0783
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.
Ayoung0783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Let us know how you make out. We never stop learning. RAY
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Ayoung0783
Not Yet Wild

So I had given up on my starter and was supposed to pick one up this morning. Before I went to get it I decided to go for one more shot. I disassembled the starter and cleaned it thoroughly. I took some very fine sand paper to the armature and got it shining like new. Reinstalled it and its working like a charm. ( I must admit it was quite nasty). Come out cheap on that fix. Thanks for all your help/suggestions.
Ayoung0783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's good you were able to get it fixed!!! What happens when the commutator wears is the copper bar surface wears away leaving the mica insulation between the bars standing up higher than the copper. This effectively lifts the brush off of the commutator and is like an open circuit. The very best way to replace the brushes is to actually turn the commutator on a lathe, then the mica is actually undercut below the surface of the copper commutator bars. An automotive rebuild shop would do it this way, which is why I always recommend a rebuild shop for reconditioning a starter/gen. Your repair should be ok but will probably not last as long as a "turn & undercut" job. - RAY
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha