lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
ckraker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default HOT Engine

I have a G14 cart that I simply cannot get to run cool. I have NO more ideas. Here is what I've done. Clean Carb, Adjusted pilot screw out 1.5 turns, Pulled muffler to check for restriction, check and double check to make sure engine fins are clean and air is flowing over them, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter. The valve cover is above 215 f after running for just 5 minutes (on a cool day). It gets so hot that it has melted my belt.

The only thing I have found that I'm questioning (noticed while cleaning carb) is that there is a hole on the top left side of the carb that is open to the bowl. It must be doing something because if I plug it my engine stalls out-- but why would you ever want unfiltered atmosphere entering the engine? Any thoughts?
Thanks
ckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: HOT Engine

Air leaks will cause it to run lean and hot. There should be no air entering the engine except thru the air filter.
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
ckraker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I agree

I sprayed the engine down while it was running with brake clean but it didn't appear to rev or react in any way. Does anyone know anything about the mystery hole in the carb
?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Can you post a photo of the hole in the carb?
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
ckraker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yes sir, I will tonight or tomorrow. I'm at the nascar race today. Go jr!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
ckraker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Pictures of the Hole in Question

The hole is the one pretty much in the center of the photo, but toward the top of the carb. I think it vented to the fuel bowl, but I could be mistaken. Anyone know what it is?

also this is the drivers side of the carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0650.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The float must have a vent, but I don't know exactly where it is on that carb. Read the plug it should be light if its lean. Other things that can cause heat are timing off, or cam timing off, both unlikely. Check your valve lash though I doubt it would make a huge difference. Double check the fan and inlet/etc. My G9 started to get hot when I ran it hard, turns out I think it was just worn out. Two years later it started to burn some oil. It would run better in cool weather. It runs awesome now with a clone in it. Another way I found is take the hose off the airbox from the rocker cover if it has that. Mine would be clean when you rev the motor cool, but take a run wot and come back it would blow smoke out of the hose. Blow by I think.

One other thing to check is fuel flow. If you have a problem with the pump or tank venting it can cause heat. Had a couple garden tractors the screen in the tank plugged and they ran fine but one blew a hole in the head it got so hot. It would lean out under load from restricted fuel flow, but ran fine you could not tell. Only way I figured it out was richening the carb and it made no difference under load, but that carb had a main jet screw to do it with.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
rib33024

If you sprayed brake cleaner on it, check the can - ( CRC Brakleen Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Flammable ) you need to use WD40, or carb cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckraker View Post
I agree

I sprayed the engine down while it was running with brake clean but it didn't appear to rev or react in any way. Does anyone know anything about the mystery hole in the carb
?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
rib33024

take the plug out and see What color the plug is, brown?, black?, or white?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
ckraker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
If you sprayed brake cleaner on it, check the can - CRC Brakleen Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Flammable you need to use WD40, or carb cleaner
I can assure you that the brake cleaner I used was flammable. I entertain my kids by blowing a 6 foot long flame out of the nozzle.

I'll check the spark plug, and let you know what I find.

Nobody know what the hole is?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha