lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 won't charge.

Just waking up my new to me 96 series Club Car (A96xx) after a long winters sleep. I have cleaned all battery connections, the cables are all clean and solid with no visible corrosion. When first checked the seven year old (4/10) batteries had 44.2 Volts after sitting all winter. When I first put the charger on, nothing happened. No click, no buzz and no charge. It is plugged into a good (tested) circuit. I unplugged it and then cleaned all battery cables. Tried the charger again and got good charge with 13+ amps. Charger went full cycle and shut itself off by next morning. Voltage read 51+ with each battery the same at 8.3 volts. I have driven it several miles and put it back on the charger several times and it won't charge. It is discharged to 50 volts now. Each battery is equal at 8.1 volts. When I plug the cord into the cart, I get a slight click from the relay. I tried a different known good charger and got the same results. I see the ammeter move just off zero (about 1 amp) with either charger but it then clicks off. This cycles only twice then nothing. I was able to get only one charge and since then nothing. When I put my meter on while trying to charge I only get pack voltage. Hope I have included enough info to help diagnose this. I know I will need new batteries but want to work out the charging bugs first. Appreciate any help. I checked both fuses on the receptacle and they are good.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 96 won't charge.

I went through an issue last month with a neighbors cart and it was an OBC issue. Don't know if that is your issue or not, but I know the OBC controls a lot of the functions for your powerdrive charger. There is also some troubleshooting tips somewhere (I just can't find them right now) for the charger, but some of the Vet's on here can probably share test methods with you if it is that or give you some other alternative suggestions.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

Yes, that is what I am hoping for. Doesn't seem like it is the charger because I had the same results when I tried another charger. Still hoping for some ideas.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

Anybody??? Need a little help here. Any ideas??
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Read through thuds sticky note from above, and you can try bypassing the OBC to see if that is your problem.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...excel-obc.html
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Check the fuse on your charger port. Also spray some WD 40 in the port where the charger plugs. Reset the obc. See if any of these help.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

So, as I read it says to connect yellow wire coming from solenoid to pack negative. Also connect 10ga black coming from charge receptacle to pack negative also. Then I plug in charger. If it charges, OBC is bad..... Can I charge batteries if I monitor voltage? No more than 62 volts???
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: 96 won't charge.

Mrgolf, Thanks, tried all three already.....
Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

A flyer.... thanks for the link.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
bobwalter
Not Yet Wild

OK! It finally quit raining. Will try the above bypass and see what happens. Hope it doesn't make any sparks����
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car